1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you own Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elgecko, Mar 2, 2014.

Do you own Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. I got one hand on my carrot

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. elgecko

elgecko

Another installment of "Do you own [INSERT ALBUM]?"

[​IMG]

Jagged Little Pill. Released in 1995. Alanis' first international release...the one of Flea and Dave Navarro on You Oughta Know. Generally accepted as the 11th best selling album of all time. It won the 1996 Album of the Year Grammy and probably ties with Nirvana's Nevermind for most iconic album of the 90s.

This album was BIG when it was first released and I was way too cool to give it a chance. I'm not even sure why I finally did but sometime last decade, I gave it a spin and found I actually really liked it. It *was* as good as they said. In fact, Alanis went on to become one of my favorite female artists. I own it in mp3 format

There's no denying that Jagged Little Pill is estrogen fueled. I believe the perception that owning it is less than "manly" affects album ownership. I'll estimate ownership somewhere around 71%. Regardless of misguided perceptions, it's a really good album!

2. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

no

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I remember my friend's sister had bought the tape and he showed it to me, it used the F word so it was awesome. I went out and bought the tape myself, probably still have it. This was a massive record for me, I still love this album almost two years later. Easily one of the best records of the 90s. I remember always loving the little fill done before the 2nd verse in "you oughta know" and made a point to learn that bass line one day, after learning it I noticed how out of place it was on the record. I then had to see who played on that track and low and behold it was the Peppers.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yes.
    It wasn't until a couple years after its release that I finally listened to the whole album. I went out a bought my own copy the next day.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

No. I was already in my mid-20s when this came out. If I was an angst-ridden teenage girl, I would have been all over it.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Don't own it. Heard most of the tracks many times on MTV and/or on the radio when the album was still on the charts. Haven't heard most of these for quite some time - until now.

Alanis is a damn fine songwriter, I'll say that much. :meh:

MM

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Yes..great bass performances throughout...

9. FooHead

FooHead

Good way to put it!!

Ever listen to her stuff before this album?

10. elgecko

elgecko

We're the same age. At the time, I also dismissed it as girly, teeny bopper drivel. I was proven wrong.

Of course, I've been known to listen to Ingrid Michaelson. :atoz:

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Great album. Alanis is a great vocalist and writer. The two albums that followed were actually eve better. Under Rug Swept is pretty amazing.

12. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Yes & It was a damn good album all around

13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

No, but I voted "one hand on my carrot" because that's funny stuff right there. :D

14. JimK

JimK

I was 37 in 1995...and had no problem buying it.
    One of the bands I played in at the time was doing originals in the same vibe as "You Ought Know".

In this time frame-
    Morrisette's SNL performance of "Hand In Pocket" (with a 4-tet consisting of 2 guitars, Taylor Hawkins/drums & Chris Chaney/bass) is great.

15. thunesBARROW

thunesBARROW

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Farfisa organs
    No, but I play some of the songs with a cover band. "You Oughta Know" is a great tune; it gives us cover band bassists that rare chance to show off a bit. :D

16. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

No. But my mom had it...:eyebrow:

17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I think "You Oughtta Know" is one of the best songs to come out of the 1990s

...but I find the rest of the album almost insufferably unlistenable. So no, I don't own it.

18. JimK

JimK

Granted, most of it is a big production thing...

"All I Really Want", especially live (w/ Chris Chaney), is a cooker.

19. Richland123

Richland123

20. Milk

Milk

I predict this will have the lowest owned numbers so far.

I don't own it. I think Alanis Morissette is a terrible songwriter.

Oh there i go again...Well i'll say this, in this series so far while i didn't own but one of the albums, i generally respect the artists who've made them (ok except the eagles maybe... but that's a pretty personal issue). But i do not respect Alanis Morrissette as an artist. I just dont (and by the way it has nothing to do with the fact that shes the first woman in the list, i like plenty of women artists, i respect Stevie Nicks for one and i don't own Rumours)

21. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I thought the songwriting was very strong on that album, especially lyrically. Back in the day before youtube and the internet, you had to buy some albums to learn songs off of for gigs, I have a lot of albums in my collection like that.
    The good side of that is, I learned to appreciate much more music and song construct than if I just bought stuff just personally liked. I like the huge menu of music I've picked up over the 40 years I've been playing.