Do You Own Deep Purple - Machine Head?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Jan 2, 2014.

Do You Own Deep Purple - Machine Head?

1. YES

107 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. NO

44 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Ummm...hold on, lemme Google it

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Carrots (Smoked in their own Water)

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. JimK

JimK

I cleared this through elgecko (not wanting to steal his thunder).

Personally, I will always remember this album as the example of seminal Hard Rock...perhaps you do not.

For me, it was a September 1972 visit to my HS library. Friends are sitting around, each with headphones, bobbing their heads & smiling. So I jack-in...and man, this is the ****! Anyway, the album was Machine Head...this was my 1st-ever exposure to Deep Purple.

I find this strange 'cause I recall having stuff like Zeppelin IV, Yes' Fragile, Tull's Aqualung, AC's School's Out, Sabbath's Paranoid, & Uriah Heep's Demon & Wizards in my collection of approx. 100 LPs.
    Not sure how I missed this boat on Purple...this was pretty much at the end of the Mk II line-up.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

What a great band. I was fortunate to have seen the Perfect Strangers Mark II reunion tour and it was fantastic.

3. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Get "Made In Japan".

One of the best live albums ever.

4. bhunt1

bhunt1 Supporting Member

Machine Head was the first album I ever bought - still a fav.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

+1 , I saw them in 1994 in their secret Mexican tour. What a band :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Yesterday I started to learn the bassline of smoke on the water :D

7. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

I learned to play the whole thing once I got it. The black rick on the back was a motivator, and Glover is a great player.

8. 65panhead

65panhead Supporting Member

Had it first on 8 track. It traveled from Southern Cal to Calgary Alberta, much to my girlfriends chagrin :D

The end of Pictures of Home was the bass that planted the seed. My sincere thanks to Roger Glover.

I started learning Smoke on the Water yesterday also...

thunderstation likes this.
  9. Richland123

Richland123

Machine Head is one of my Top 10 favorites albums of all time. Not a bad song on it and the musicianship was outstanding.

I already had some earlier Deep Purple singles including their covers of Hush and Kentucky Woman as well as Black Night, which my band at the time played.

When Machine Head came out, I was at a small so called "hippie shop" in my neighborhood that sold clothes, incense, posters, record albums, etc. and I bought it without hearing a song on it when it came out in the spring of 1972.

I took it home and was blown away. I called my guitar player and played the album for him. We, immediately, decided to learn Smoke On The Water and were playing it in my band almost a year before it was released as a single in May of 1973.

10. portpc

portpc

11. elgecko

elgecko

:p

When I Googled Machine Head I came up with the 90s band. I didn't think to Google the album of the same name. At any rate, I like Deep Purple but do not own Machine Head.

12. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I've never heard a rock/proto-metal song that swings as much as "Pictures of Home."

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

One of the all time classic albums from anybody.
    I've had it on vinyl from the '70's
    ** But * * you must get the 25th anniversary double CD. It has the entire LP re-mastered with some extras and the 2nd disc is the Roger Glover re-mixes! This is the most incredible version ever. Roger went back to the original tapes and completely re-mixed each song. He used some alternate guitar solos on some classic songs and did a fantastic job. There is an extensive booklet that explains in detail the story behind the making of the record and lots of photos from the sessions. If you listen to the words to Smoke on the Water, you get an accurate idea of the difficult situation in which this album was recorded. A must have for any DP fan or music historian.

14. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

I had Shades of Deep Purple and Book of Taliesyn. Machine Head came a little later and I covered Hiway Star in several bands during that era but never owned the record. It's all great stuff. There are isolation tracks on youtube of Jon Lord and Glover that are just amazing. (Maybe others too, but that's all I remember at the moment).

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    First guitar solo I ever learned was smoke on the water. Started around 8 in the evening and finished around 6am. I was 15 or 16 years old. I scratched the hell out of that piece of vinyl, but it was soooo worth the feeling of accomplishment when I was done.

No tab or mp3s in them there days. I don't think I even had a cassette player to work with. Or hadn't figured out yet that it was easier if I used it.

16. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

I'm kind of (relatively) young (27), but about 6 years ago, I gave Machine Head a listen all the way through for the first time, and I could not believe I hadn't heard it yet. Every single track on there is gold. I think "Maybe I'm a Leo" might be my favorite, but I don't know... it's really tough to pick just one.

From there, I checked out the rest of their stuff, and I really dig the first few albums a lot, all the way up to "Who Do We Think We Are." Past that point, the songs are kind of hit and miss for me, and once Blackmore leaves the picture, I completely lose interest. That lead me to check out some Rainbow albums as well, actually.

I'd probably put Machine Head in my top 10 classic rock albums of all time though.

17. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

I've never owned a DP album or song. Honestly, the cheesiness of Smoke on the Water and the related jokes have kept me away from DP. I know that is a rather obtuse view to have, but hey...I'm only human.

18. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I got into them when I was a kid and Hush came out, loved them! For that period, Deep Purple In Rock was my favorite.

19. JimK

JimK

I'm not sure I am into the alternate guitar solo on "Smoke On The Water"...the original is so iconic & ingrained into my memory...
    :)

Every Classic Rock LP I still own from that era is scratched to Hell...

I got into "Hush" a couple of months after my Machine Head awakening...Purple Passages was released in time for Xmas 1972 (a "Best Of" early Mk I LPs).
    Weird (for me) was DP Mk II was one of "my bands" back in the day & yet I have never owned In Rock or Fireball.

20. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

Love it!

got it in high school mid 80's, and have always strived to play in a band like that.

I got myself a B-3 a couple years ago, and now all my original stuff has organ all over it. Love it!

21. JimK

JimK

I must be on some nostalgic trip of late...I have bought a couple of DP DVDs &, after all these years, I am most impressed with...Blackmore?
    I recall Paice being a freight train (not bad for a drummer that doesn't count) :)
    ...and Lord is rockin'. Seriously.
    Gillan is a screamer.
    Glover? Back in the day, I thought he was the weakest link. Not a fan of his Ric tone (his P-bass tone is good, IMO).
    Always preferred JPJ/Gary Thain.

Anyway, on these DVDs I have watched, Blackmore is coming off as a Blues-tinged Avant Garde-ist? :)