1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you own effects that made you change the way you play?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baird6869, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I ask as I recently picked up a new MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and I have to play differently than usual when I use this effect.

As it doesn't track very well below the C on the A string (most octaves are similar), I really need to play higher up the neck than normal. Took me a little bit to get use to, but once you figure out where to play to get the most out of an octave pedal, it can sound great.

Anyone out there in the same boat with an octave or other pedals?
  2. Turtle71

Turtle71

Actually I just started using a Boss OC-3, nowhere near as good as the MXR I suspect. But I too had to "relearn" the songs or passages higher up the neck...it was actually a PITA, but thinking about it, I'm glad I did...It made the effect sound cleaner, and forced me out of my "comfort zone"...WIN/WIN :bassist:
  3. The Celestials

The Celestials

I discovered a few years back the trick of putting delay before distortion, being a very compressed fuzz, and a delay with equal volume to the dry volume and one repeat. Time your playing to the repeats desired.

And that is how I brought dubstep into my bass playing.

I give you guys full permission to rip me
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Filters made me dig in harder, as I used to be a rather light plucker.
  5. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Delay makes me pay closer attention to what I play. If you make a mistake it repeats it a bunch of times.
  6. bassbrad

bassbrad

Yes but I don't think of that as a bad thing just a part of the experience. Being aware that an octaver takes a different touch from a filter or that a particular fuzz prefers one pickup or another is all a part of the game. To me all those adaptions are tricks to add to my bag that have led to discovering new sounds.
  7. Swift713

Swift713

I'm much less interested in effects that don't "make you change the way you play". If its not interactive it's not really adding much to my experience. But I would include overdrive, compression, tremolo, all sorts of things in the category of interactive- if it changes the instrument's response it changes the player.
  8. metaball

metaball

+1
    :hyper:
  9. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

I had the same experience with my Octabass and MXR Phase 90... Used judiciously and sparingly... So sparingly in fact that my Chorus is the only one currently I'm interested in keeping...
  10. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

^ nice!
  11. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

when i started using heavy distortion and the filter i started letting notes ring out at the end of riffs a lot more