Do you own Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elgecko, Apr 12, 2014.

?

Do you own Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Sweet carrot o' mine

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. elgecko

elgecko

[​IMG]

Appetite For Destruction. Guns 'N' Roses' freshman album released in July 1987. The twenty-ninth best selling album of all time and one that perhaps signaled a coming change in rock music. If anything, it's near the top of the list for greatest first albums of any rock band.

During the mid 80s, rock was dominated by hair metal/glam rock. Sure Guns 'N' Roses wore the tight leather pants and had the big hair but something was slightly different about the music. It was a little less flashy. The lyrics and subject matter were a bit edgier and more gritty than the standard fare of the day. The guitar playing was A LOT better.

At the time, I was firmly entrenched in new wave (alternative) and was completely turned off by "regular" rock. Appetite For Destruction changed that for me and set the stage for the big change that was to come four years later. When it came out, I listened to my sister's vinyl copy. These days, I have it in mp3 format.

It's a shame Guns 'N' Roses couldn't hold together. They were a great band but I'll never forgive them for ruining Knockin' On Heaven's Door for me and the who "releasing Use Your Illusion as two single albums rather than one double album" is still one of the douchiest moves in all rock.
  2. JimK

JimK

No...hell, no.
  3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    My favorite band. Absolutely. They got better as they went, but I own all their material.:)
  4. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Media:
    Have it on vinyl and CD.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Yes, one of the best rock albums of the last 25 years. IMHO
    Axl blew it!
  7. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Hack with nice gear. Supporting Member

I realize I'm in the minority here, but in my humble opinion GnR is one of the most overrated bands of all time and "Appetite for Destruction" is an extremely overrated album of sophomoric amateur sounding songwriting. I always thought they were hacks, especially Slash. Go ahead, let me have it.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Nope, you can have any opinion you fancy. :)
  9. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Not anymore. Had the vinyl when it first came out. By the time I converted everything I intended to keep to CD/Mp3, I wasn't the least bit interested anymore. Still not.
  10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

No. Can't stand Axl's vocals.
    WyreAndWood likes this.
  11. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

No guess at ownership percentage today?
  12. ghunter

ghunter

I always thought that their songs were always "hard pop" more than heavy metal or hard rock, and this album sounded more like "Dr. Feelgood Part 2" more than something original.

Slash is a phenomenal guitarist, but at this point in his career he should have been in at least one or two other massively successful bands. He seems like a cool cat and if he's lived a good life it's hard to fault him for it, but from a fan's perspective I feel like there should just be more solid output after twenty years in the industry.

Duff McKagan was solid, probably also should have gone on to more than he did.

Axl was the train wreck waiting to happen, all along.
  13. elgecko

elgecko

I'll go 59%, a smidge higher than it currently is.
  14. LSquared

LSquared

I do own mp3s of Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City... But that's all of the G&R I've felt I needed.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

People not liking it, that's an opinion. Too bad for them.

FYI, G'n'R fans, Duff's "Walking Papers" is IMO by far the best thing he (or any Gunners) have done since. Izzy's "117 Degrees" is excellent too.

Rock-on!
  16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Nope. G'N'R did seem like a modest upgrade from hair metal, but (A) that wasn't saying much in my book and (B) Axl's douche factor was way too high. I was listening heavily to my Minutemen, Husker Du, Meat Puppets and Firehose.
    bassthumpersf likes this.
  17. StayLow

StayLow

Such as? Since then he's been charting and filling arenas for years with Velvet Revolver, been on probably a couple dozen albums, maybe a dozen gigging bands, become a Fender signature artist, all while getting and staying clean, getting a college degree, writing a book and hitting the interview circuit for it, writing great columns about economics and music business for Playboy on down, and by all accounts being a good father and husband.

Most men can't even do one of those things.
  18. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

It predates Feelgood by about two years.
  19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Yes, I own it. Although when it came out, I couldn't stand GnR because I was more into punk, hardcore, and thrash in the late 80s. I didn't really get into the album until a good 12-15 years later. Having said that, I wouldn't mind if I never heard "Sweet Child O' Mine" again for the rest of my life.
  20. cableguy

cableguy

This, although the shot their wad with this album. Still really dig it, but nothing else they did is worth much.
  21. bluejayway82

bluejayway82

Absolutely awesome rock album.. possibly my favourite 'rock' album of all time, definitely top 3. No, not the most sophisticated song writing ever, but they definitely saved rock n' roll with this album. I find myself always going back to it.

It didn't re-invent the wheel, it's just bloody good rock!

And as much as I never want to play Sweet Child again in my life, that song has probably paid for a good few months rent alone, from the amount of times I've played it on cover gigs.. ha..