1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do You Own Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Jan 21, 2014.

?

Do You Own Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. 'Cause We've Ended As Carrots

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. JimK

JimK

...after a steady diet of Deep Purple, Tull, Yes, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, GFR, Mountain, The Doors, et al..."the self-proclaimed Clapton down the street" invites us younger guys to hear the new Jeff Beck LP he had just bought.

The few bars of the very 1st tune, "You Know What I Mean", were an awakening.
    What was this guy Phil Chen doing? You mean it's OK to not play on the "1"?!?!

Anyway, I usually don't throw "masterpiece" out there...this one is real close, IMO.
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I own it. Blow by Blow and Wired. Great albums by real musicians.
  3. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

always a toss up between BBB and Wired for which is my favorite. Some great stuff on both.
  4. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert Gold Supporting Member

Can't have Blow by Blow without Wired.
  5. Jefff

Jefff

I first bought it on vinyl. When that wore out I got the cd.

Everytime I lost the cd I bought it again.
  6. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Oh Yeah! This album came out just as I was going through a sea change of sorts in my listening tastes.
  7. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I always get wired when I have some blow by blow :)

Seriously I love both of them!
  8. elgecko

elgecko

I don't...Beck's playing kind of annoys me sometimes.

:bag:
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of copies but don't currently have one. Got to see all that stuff played live a couple of times back in that day too, including the Wired tour at a local country club.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass

This ^ - never quite understood the fascination with beck.
  11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Now you can buy it on Amazon and redownload the MP3s for free when you lose the disk the songs are on
  12. Jefff

Jefff

Yeah, I have it on my phone now..:)
  13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I owned it, but my CD was stolen years ago and I never replaced it. So I guess the answer is no(?)
  14. bswag

bswag Not a Real Bass Player Supporting Member

Had 'em both since they came out on LP.

For those who find Jeff annoying, well- don't listen! I find some stuff annoying, so I don't listen to it...

Current candidate for Best Beck, for me, is the "Live at Ronny Scott's" DVD. Even those annoyed by Beck might like some of this! Apart from the awesome Tal W. making me wish I was young enough to be a he-groupie- I mean that in a strictly musical kinda way, you degenerates- there's Eric's guest turn. I love that they do Muddy's "You Need Love" with Page and Plant in the audience- burn! But in my book Mr. Beck has long transcended his instrument; he's a musician, and a very good one. And, apart from some "annoying" vocalist choices back in the day, his bands are usually excellent, bassists included. [OK, full disclosure: Joss Stone f's up the crucial third verse of "People Get Ready," which is where the song's whole message lies. Oops!]
    Ah, this thread has reminded me that "Love Is Green" on Wired was one of my fave tunes- guess I'll just have to listen to it...
  15. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

One of the best albums of all time. Beck is a great guitar player. Along with Wired, his Beck, Bogart and Appice album is equally as good.
  16. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I can understand what you mean but I like the tone he gets by not using a pick and his intonation during note bends is in a league of its own. Sort of the Mel Torme of the guitar world.
  17. cycler

cycler

That one can't appreciate Beck for the guitarist's guitarist that he is, someone who has pushed the instrument further in a rock vein than anyone could imagine is one thing. That's not what was said however; it's not stuff you want to listen to all the time though and can be fatiguing. Guitar Shop is better realized.
  18. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

19. elgecko

elgecko

Those are the exact aspects of his playing that annoy me sometimes.
  20. Basshappi

Basshappi