1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you own Led Zeppelin IV (Stairway To Heaven)?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by stratovani, Jan 9, 2014.

Do you own Led Zeppelin IV, the Stairway To Heaven album?

1. Of course, don't be ridiculous!

70 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Years ago, but not anymore.

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Buried in the house somewhere, where spiders live.

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Led who???

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. stratovani

stratovani

I'll get in on this. I've got a very scratched up vinyl of Led Zep's classic, with a taped up album cover in really crappy condition somewhere in the house. I've also got the MP3 version which I downloaded from Amazon.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Back in the olden days, I would listen to my sister's vinyl copy. These days, I have it on mp3.

3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I'm not sure if I'm #2 or #3, but I had the LP back in high school. It's either buried somewhere deep in my parents' house, they sold it at a yard sale, or my brother claimed it.

Classic album, though. No doubt.

4. Epidrake

Epidrake

First two albums by Zep were my favorites by them. Of course most of those songs were plagiarized from great unknown African American blues artists. I have a "No Stairway" clause in my studio.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Voted yes, but I only have the CD and the LP and a Cassette. Never got the 8 track, afraid I'd be accused of being a fanboy. :bassist:

7. Richland123

Richland123

I got the vinyl album when it came out and played on the console stereo in our living room. My grandmother was there too and I don't remember if she really got the music. I was blown away by Stairway To Heaven and my band learned it (not all that well) within a few days and started playing it at gigs.

8. ZenG

ZenG

'and as we wind on down the road....our shadows taller than our souls'

yes.. never gets old....

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    On vinyl, cassette and cd.

11. deeptubes

deeptubes

Not in a really long time. It's the only Zep album I don't have. I do everything I can to not have to hear Stairway yet again.

12. insomniabass

insomniabass

I play bass because of John Paul Jones.... but not because of Zoso, but because of Led Zep II. His playing on "What is and What Should Never Be", along with the Lemon Song, and "Ramble On" is inspirational. have you ever noticed how his bass track is bounced back and forth between the left and right speaker at the end of Ramble On. I am not sure I have ever heard that done, before or since, with a bass track.... so cool.... but, I blather on

13. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

You've made the assumption that the people who don't own this album don't know Led Zeppelin.

14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

About a year ago, a friend of mine loaned me the entire Zep discography on CD, which I ripped to my computer.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I do. I have it on vinyl, was pretty excited to find it.

I thought the album didn't have a title and was commonly referred to as Zoso, Jimmy Page's "symbol". I didn't just imagine this did I?

16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I've had every Zeppelin album in a variety of formats at one point or another. Now, I think some of it is burned on CD and some is on mp3. My music collection is much less organized that it was 10-15 years ago. I'm not really sure what I have now.

17. JimK

JimK

LP when it was released...CD years later. Wore the record count.

18. JimK

JimK

JPJ is not my reason for playing bass...but he is the guy I latched onto early 'cause his style seemed attainable (vs. Bruce/ Ox).

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Shortly after that album was released I was home sick from junior high school with the flu. My Mom was going out shopping and she asked me if there was anything I needed.

I said "the newest Led Zeppelin album please!" She obliged, and I spent the next two days in bed shivering/sweating under a blanket with the record player on auto-repeat listening to side one over & over & over...

But I got rid of a lot of my vinyl ~20 years ago, and haven't seen any need to replace that album. The only Zep I currently have (on CD) is Houses Of The Holy, which remains my favorite. Unless I come across a screaming deal on the CD boxed set of their studio recordings, I'll probably never buy another Zep album...but I still look back fondly on those first few sick days with "ZOSO" (sic)

20. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Downloaded their entire discography and bought celebration day dvd cd when it came out. I plan on buying their albums in vynil when I have some disposable income.

21. brianrost

brianrost

Gotta have it for rolling joints on :hyper: