Do you own Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elgecko, Apr 3, 2014.

Do you own Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. I would do anything for carrots

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. elgecko

elgecko

[​IMG]

Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell. Released in 1977 and generally recognized as the tenth best selling album of all time.

Here's the thing. I don't own it. As far as I know, no I know or have known owns it. I've never been on a road trip when someone said "Hey, I brought Bat Out of Hell. Pop that sucker in!" I've never been going through someone's music collection and found it. The album was released when I was six years old and can't name one song off the album. I don't know that I'd even recognize the most popular song if you played it for me. The only reason I know I know who Meat Loaf is is because of his second coming in the 90s and even that bewildered me.

There are other "not so cool" albums that sold more copies than Bat Out Of Hell like the soundtracks from Saturday Night Fever and The Bodyguard but I've encountered those albums and heard the songs. Todd Rundgren produced Bat Out Of Hell and the personnel list reveals legitimate musicians including members of the E Street Band and Edgar Winter. Meat Loaf is reportedly a gifted singer. Are there that many Rocky Horror Picture Show fans? How has the tenth best selling album of all time escaped my consciousness? What am I missing?

:confused:

2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I'm glad I don't. I hate that record! A bunch of really bad, cliche songs!

3. elgecko

elgecko

This is my favorite of Meat Loaf's work:

[​IMG]

4. StayLow

StayLow

Fantastic album. Pop/rock masterpiece. Like it or not, it is not at all cliche.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I always loved the label of "Wagnerian rock." It seems like such a great label to apply to music, simply because of how great a composer Wagner was.

But try as I might, not only do I not really like Meat Loaf, I can't for the life of me see what's Wagnerian about it. You know what I find Wagnerian? Opeth.

7. steamthief

steamthief

+1. Thanks for the reminder, that's the next CD I listen to while working in the yard. My neighbors shall revel in the glorious sounds of Mr. Loaf.

8. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I bought it, listened to it a couple times through, and then gave it to someone.

I like the songs where he puts a miserable outlook on the women hes with. 2 out of 3 and paradise

9. JimK

JimK

No...in 1977, I was firmly entrenched in my Jazz-Nazi daze.
    Beyond that, I have gone back & picked up things I passed on the 1st go-round.
    Never even thought one iota about buying BOOH.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

+1.
    Not a cliché in any way. It's epic, it's fun, rock'n'roll in its purest form. A true masterpiece.

11. StayLow

StayLow

Well said, however Opeth came along two decades after Bat... and a lot of change and progress was made in pop/rock music since then.

General comment, not directed at Hamlet...

Best thing about Loaf is that he gives hope to all men. For an awkward young boy to see that pale fat mf on television sweating buckets yet still having hot women hanging off him and belting out those tunes with so much confidence innuendo you'd think Bon Scott had a co-writing credit and donned a fat suit... that was creepy and naughty and mind-blowing all at once.

Seen him perform it live in the late-80's in a club, before his revival of sorts, and he was awesome and so was the material. He'd even lost some weight. Most major pop stars don't fare nearly as well more than a decade past their one-hit-wonder.

I bleed stuff with plenty of snob cred from Miles to Mahavishnu and from P.Funk to Peter Tosh, still I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this album. Sucks to be you. :smug:

12. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I own it on vinyl and cd, and copied it to iTunes. What's more, I like the music on it.

13. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Killer album, had it on vinyl when it came out, still have it on CD. Paradise By the Dashboard Lights is epic. The follow up album, not so much.

14. TripleDouble

TripleDouble

I do, and I still like it when doing long solo road trips. When attending Berklee in the 90's I once put this in in a room full of Phish heads and jazz turds who were arguing about John Scofields new direction or some nerdy crap. They all started mocking the record and saying "are you serious!??". I told them I do in fact like this album, in a cheesy, over the top, well executed grandiose way. I bought it after seeing Meat Loaf perform one of the most fun shows I've ever attended at a beach festival that had nothing to do with being cool or II-V7's, where the evening ended with a bunch of french college girls and waking up in a field and brushing my teeth with vodka the next day. Nobody had any wild stories from after a Yellowjackets concert.

15. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I voted the carrot option, just because it made me laugh outloud... Technically speaking I would vote No though.

When I was young, my dad owned the vinyl. I played it all of the time. Then one day I stopped, and I don't think I've heard it since.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I always loved it, although he spent his career trying to duplicate it with no luck.

17. Richland123

Richland123

3 copies

Vinyl album
    Picture Disc album
    CD

18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

I do not own that album. But I remember when it first came out my high school orchestra director, a notoriously cranky & cantankerous old man, cited Bat Out Of Hell as being better than the average radio fare at the time.

Actually, I recall his exact words were "That Meatloaf's music is pretty good...not like that Eddie Money guy!"

19. electracoyote

electracoyote

Finally, I can vote "NO, NO, NO, AN EMPHATIC NO!" to this "epic" album.

To me, this release is excess verging on annoying. That voice, over the top. Those songs, over the top. And not in a good way. It's like a bad high school rock opera.

Sincere apologies to the fans. Even the brilliant Todd Rundgren couldn't redeem this mess in my mind.

But, boy oh boy, do audiences like "Paradise By The Dashboard Lights." Yeah, I'll play it. :D

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I guess you had to be there.

21. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

A fun, campy classic. I suppose you guys don't dig "Rocky Horror" either?