Do you own Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elgecko, Nov 22, 2013.

?

Do you own Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon?

1. Yes

191 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. There is no dark side of the carrot

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. elgecko

elgecko

[​IMG]

Part two of my "Do You Own [insert album]" series. :p

Dark Side of the Moon. Pink Floyd's 8th album. Second best selling album of all time (depending on whose list you consult). Winner of Billboard's longest charting album at 835 weeks (16 years), Eclipsing the second at a mere 490 weeks (Johnny Mathis' Johnny's Greatest hits :atoz:). Some will argue that it's Pink Floyd's best album. Some will go so far as to call it the greatest album in all rock. A few will venture that Dark Side is the greatest album of all time.

I have it...hell, I have two copies on CD. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands but Dark Side is not my favorite album. It doesn't even make my top three. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and believe it's one of the most important rock albums of all time.

My guess is that fewer TBers own Dark Side than own Bob Marley's "Legend", which seems to be about 4 out of 5.
  2. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Own it. But my first Pink Floyd album was Animals, the first album I ever bought and still my favorite.
    62Jazzbass likes this.
  3. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet? Supporting Member

Yes, it's sitting right next to Bob Marley: Legend.

Seriously though, yes. :)
  4. elgecko

elgecko

My first Floyd album was the Delicate Sound of Thunder. It was also my very first CD!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kreider204

kreider204

Yep, only PF album I bother to listen to anymore.
  7. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Actually no, I wore out both my copies years ago and have not restocked. Thanks for reminding me.:)
  8. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

I own both Dark Side and Legend.
  9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I was introduced to Dark Side via a copy of the Pulse live CD when that came out, which contains one disc of 'hits' and another of Dark Side played live in full. No Roger Waters, but still a great live album. I also have an early CD copy, the recent remaster, and a vinyl. In recent years, Mojo magazine released an album of Dark Side covers, which is mostly terrible indie buzzband/hipster rot.

I go through phases: Animals is my favourite at the moment, but I'll come back around to Dark Side Of The Moon eventually, no doubt.
  10. wneff

wneff

I own the record....and the 20th and 30th anniversary edition
  11. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Yep. bought it used at a flea market in the 80's..on vinyl, of course..haven't heard it in years and honestly I don't miss it.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

My favorite cover is Easy Star All Stars - Dub Side of the Moon, a dub reggae version of the entire album! :cool:
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Yes I own it but I am not a big Pink Floyd fan. I like a few songs but they are not one of my favorite bands.
  14. srxplayer

srxplayer

No. Years ago a friends were saying how good it is. So I borrowed his CD. Eh...Couldn't get through it. Just not my thing. :confused:
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

No.
    Never was a Pink Floyd fan.
    Never was a Bob Marley fan.
    I'm lame.
  16. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Nope. I've got plenty of albums from that era and genre, but I've never owned any Floyd.
  17. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

I currently only have Animals and Wish You Were Here. Both of which I like better. My next Floyd purchase would probably be Meddle, and then MAYBE followed by this one.

Truly a great album, but I've heard it so many times... this and The Wall. Both are heavily played/over played, here in L.A., although I suspect that this is the case pretty much everywhere. It's just odd that they don't play more of their catalog, as it's a pretty impressive body of work.
  18. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I had it and a bunch of other Floyd albums in the bin for many years, but I don't think they're around anymore.
  19. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Yup. Sometimes I'll put it on and go for a walk on a cool clear, evening... somehow it always makes me contemplate my life a deep, metaphysical sort of way.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have a Dark Side of the Moon vinyl LP in good shape with the poster inside.

And I also saw Pink Floyd on the Dark Side of the Moon tour in Chicago in the 70s.
  21. ozzyismetal

ozzyismetal

Used to. Wasn't my thing after multiple listens, so I ditched it.