Do You Play a Fender Because It's Expected?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I was watching Stu Hamm on a video recently where he told the story of him turning up at a studio to do a recording. He brought his Alembic along. The producer saw the Alembic and said "Great looking bass, I'm sure it sounds great too - but can you go home and bring a P-Bass because that will at least look the part".

I have two Fenders: An Am Deluxe Jazz and an Am Std P. In all honesty, I bought both of them because they are must-haves that are jointly responsible for the vast majority of recorded music over the last 50 years.

How many of you own Fenders simply because your audiences or producers expect it?
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

3. morewattsplease

morewattsplease

I'm not even a recording musician or regular performer and I keep my jazz because I feel like I should have fender tone in my arsenal. (also I modded it and I know I won't get what it is worth to me)
  4. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I don't play a Fender at all. Maybe I will someday, but maybe not.

Either way, someone who cares whether or not I play a Fender is not someone I want to make music with (although admittedly I am not a "session" pro, so I don't find myself in positions where my livelihood may be contingent upon being willing to swap basses).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I own one because my favorite sounds were made on them... I'm all about the 60s vintage sounds and you can't really go wrong with em when it comes to that.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I play MIA Fenders because I like the feel, tone, quality and the way they look. I also have a couple of Alembic and Spectors.

Some people love Fender, some hate them. The same is true for every product ever produced.

My opinion has always been to play what you like regardless of what anyone else thinks.
  8. mournblade

mournblade

I just recently got a Fender for the first time in 30 years. I always liked the tone of the jazz bass, and since most of my basses are dual P, thought the inclusion of a Jazz 24 would be nice.
  9. SteveC

SteveC

I have a Geddy Lee because when I was searching for a passive jazz this bass spoke to me. I will probably hang on to it because it is nice to have a basic jazz at my disposal - and I'd only get $700 if I sold it so...

I have a Roscoe fretless 5 and am getting a fretted 5 built. These will be my basses. Fortunately, where I live people aren't as particular. They seem to hire the player, not the gear.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "Do You Play a Fender Because It's Expected?"

Nope, I don't.
    I don't know if it matters, but, my Sadowskys, Nordstrand, Alleva, Valenti pretty much look like Fenders.

I will say this: if I'm going into a new, strange job I don't know anything about, I take my Fender 57PRI.
  11. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

I got a squirt p-bass because I figured it was one I had to have as a bassist. But I figured it was one I was gonna rip apart and mod the crap out of. So I only got the affinity series one. That's the only fender/squire I own.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I am not really playing Fenders much these days as I am leaning toward a more modern sound that I get from Modulus, Spector and MTD and I am mainly playing 5ers.

Having said that, I still love my 1974 P and 1973 Jazz basses and if I was still recording in the studio, these are the basses I would bring.

Fenders IMO sound great recorded and producers are so used to EQing Fenders that it is a pain to use much else. If you are paying for the studio time, knock yourself out and bring a doubleneck Alembic, a Ritter and a Wishbass! If someone else is, I say bring a Fender.
  13. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I totally agree. Engineers keep a stock of EQ curves for Fenders and can't be bothered starting from scratch when something else turns up.
  14. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Probably, yeah.

But I also like how they sound.
  15. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Nope. I own and play my Fender Geddy Lee JB because I like it. It has what I like about JBs and it's passive. I also have an SX 75 JB copy. I 'm keepin both forever.
  16. tdub0199

tdub0199

I play Fenders because that's the sound and feel I'm looking for in a bass....
  17. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

"expected"?? What the hell do I care what is "expected"? I play Fenders and Rickenbackers because I WANT to. I couldn't care less about what is "expected". ;)
  18. paganjack

paganjack

I have a Fender because that specific one is such an amazing bass. Not true for all Fenders obviously just as with any other company. But occasionally you find a real gem and I'm lucky enough to have one.
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Nope, I just like the way they sound.
  20. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i have never owned a fender
    however, i do own a type of p-bass; everyone should have one because chances are you will use it more often than not.
    i kinda see fender as the harley davidson of guitars-may not be the best, but they are iconic, has a certain credibility attached and will work in most situations.
    in some instances it may give you respect that you didn't earn; i know this is true with owning a harley-it just comes with ownership
  21. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Just finished recording 7 songs (decided to join this band & am under a trial contract). The producer & the artist loved the tone & how well my 2010 Precision V sounded on the recordings.