Do you play blues on a "too fancy" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Dec 18, 2013.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    (Maybe this belongs in band management or even gig stories and humor, if so please feel free to move it.)

The guys in my band don't look completely happy when I bring the fancy maple and carbon fibre Modulus, even though they have to admit it's the best sounding one ... not that I let it stop me, but they do prefer my more traditional sunburst and tortoise jazz bass ... though it's not quite right either as it's a five string bass, it has a battery and it's not a Fender ... so every now and then a small barb is cast my way about how I really should buy a four string Precision, preferably an old one. And an Ampeg stack of course. :)

So, are you playing blues and rock on "too fancy" equipment? :bassist:

PS: My guys are a bit hypocritical, I'm not saying anything about them playing Yamaha, Godin, Parker ... not your traditional Fenders. :)

2. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

"Ray, you have to bring that Cort Axe bass to the blues jam tonight. The guys in the band just love it."

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sometimes I play blues on a Fender, sometimes on a Fodera. I play them with whichever bass I have on hand at the time. If someone gets heartburn over it they can just go weep in the corner for a little while until it passes.

4. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    I just find these image things funny, or a bit sad, depending on my mood. :)

But I guess people listen to music also with their eyes, and their prejudices.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

It is important to bring the right tool to the job. Bringing a Modulus...which I'm sure sounds great...to a gig with a Band doing a bunch of JB's covers...likely not the right tool for the job. Bringing a 65' P w/ Flats to the Prog Rock gig...probably not the right tool for the job. Feel and skills supersede gear IMO, but gear matters too. Beyond tone...there is also tradition in music...old school funk wasn't laid down by a Modulus for example. Sure...u can play it on a Modulus...but it's like wearing a Storm Trooper costume to a Civil War reenactment...

7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

If Roscoe Beck can play a six-banger alongside Robben Ford, you can play a Modulus. And as you say, if they're playing Yammies and the like, they are obviously not too serious about traditions (IMO that's a good thing, but that's another discussion). Maybe next time they throw a comment your way, offer to have a serious discussion about whether your instrument choice is really a problem.

8. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    It's not a real issue for me, I think some guys just like to tease a bit. I'm not biting though. :)

Somehow I do believe this is a kind of insider's problem, the audience mostly can't tell a bass from a guitar, let alone distinguish between brands or what's "right".

9. delta7fred

delta7fred

+1

99% of the audience cannot tell a bass from a guitar, nor do they care as long as they enjoy themselves.

IMO (YMMV etc.) it is all about how and what you play rather than the decal on the headstock. If I ever get criticised for what bass I play then I will be looking for another band (it hasn't happened yet but there is still time). I am way too old (and grumpy) to be playing with gear snobs, life is too short to waste on idiots.

If I were playing in a full blown tribute band however then I would play whatever bass was required for the authentic look if it is part of the show.

10. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

lets be honest.

almost everything is blues.

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Sounds like you have a rather limited view of what "everything" consists of.

12. Doctor J

Doctor J

Modulus are broke and gone out of business? You better believe that's the blues.

13. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Media:
  14. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Yep.

15. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

I think I just found my new signature!

16. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Gotta pay your dues if you wanna play the blues...

Remyd likes this.
  17. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    Sure. I got my VISA ready, where do I pay? :p

18. Batmensch

Batmensch

I don't, but I wouldn't hesitate to, if I had a boutique bass that I enjoyed playing, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get it to sound "right" for blues, no sweat. I think I could handle some ribbing from my bandmates, I can give as good as I get.

19. chadds

chadds

This is funny, like is your strap too high for punk?

There is image and professionalism.

Practically speaking (doning fire suit here ) the "fancy" can get a really big bottom that fills out the actual mix. The room sound is more like the record. In the last Blues band I was in I was the only instrument down there. The minute I brought the "fancy" the honeys came out on the dance floor. It revved the whole band up.
    To each his own. A "fancy" can sound exactly like a "non-fancy."

If the Country standard bearers accepted "fancies" twenty years ago then it's appropriate. I mean Nashville & on stage of at the Grand Ole Oprey.

20. KramerDon

KramerDon

Tell them Christmas is right around the corner,if they feel you need a 4 string P, they should wrap it up nicely and put it under your tree!! Don't forget to let them know which color you prefer

BboogieXVII likes this.
  21. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    Hehe, either I get a bass or they stop going on about it. Win-win! :)