Do you prefer to play music that makes you feel younger?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Sep 2, 2013.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

This is mainly directed at the older TB members. I'm 47, but my wife will tell you that I act like I'm 17 some times. :D
    Last weekend I was asked to check out a band who's bass player is leaving. The guitar player wanted me to hear them and see what I thought. I knew they were primarily a blues band which I am fine with. However, most of their stuff, even the rock was from like the 50's and 60's. With the exception of one table full of people in their 30's and 40's, everyone else in the bar was in their 60's or later. When I got home I told my wife I didn't think I could play with these guys because the music and the crowd made me feel old. I have nothing against older people, I'm just not ready to be one yet!
    I would prefer to play more fun and up tempo music that makes me feel younger and alive! Funny thing is I got a call on Friday to join another band that plays more current stuff from Cake, RHCP, Sublime, etc as well as Beatles, CCR and Stevie Wonder.
    So if you are older, do you prefer to play music that makes you feel younger?
  2. Auguste

Auguste

I am sure that your wife appreciates your 17 year-old energy ;)

Any music I play, 40s, 60's, 70's or or 2012 makes me feel younger . . . It is not the age of the song but rather the energy you derive from it

Yup, I am an olde phart.
  3. srxplayer

srxplayer

Too funny. I'm 46 and yes. I like to to play music that makes me feel younger. Truth is, I have never been much of a Classic Rock fan so I never wanted to play stuff like Clapton or Zeppelin.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I'm way on the back side of 50 and these days playing ANY music makes me feel younger.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I don't think of it as music to feel younger, but I don't want to play music that makes me feel like an old fart, which I guess is kind of the same thing. A LOT of bands around here are middle-aged guys with setlists of 60s and 70s stuff and no, I'm really not interested (I'm 42, fyi). My teen years were the 80s and that's really about as far back as I want to go in a cover band. I'd prefer to do 90s to present.
  7. mcarp555

mcarp555

Careful - some people could interpret 'wanting to play in a band that makes me feel younger' as desperately clinging to a more modern sound to appear hip. I'm in my 50's and playing music from the '60s and '70s certainly makes me feel younger because that was the music of my youth.

Conversely, I have no interest whatsoever in music from the 90's onward. Most of it apart from the odd song here and there leaves me cold. That sometimes shocks some people, but I don't care. I like what I like.

I'm more amazed that a bar can pull in a good crowd of people in their 60's and 70's. Although a group that has more money than hormones is probably a bar owner's dream.
  8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm 42. Personally, playing songs that are 50 or 60 years old to a crowd of people in their 50s and 60s wouldn't make me feel old, but it would make me feel lame.
  9. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I play in an oldies band. Mostly pre-Beatles shooby do-wop 4 part harmony. At our last gig Friday night a twenty something year old guy came up and told us how much he enjoyed the music. He said, "You guys, like, play real instruments and $%^&."

I play in another pop/dance/sing-a-along type band and also played in a nice wedding band for a year. Anytime we try to play modern it falls flat. Adele, Maroon 5...people look at us like "what's that?". They dig disco, 80's funk, Motown. Fun to watch the hot moms when we play Superfreak.

I always get the impression the younger crowd likes authentic. Stayin Alive is in our wheelhouse. T-Pain, not so much. I'm 47, too.

Between sets I try to play modern line dance stuff. I like Wobble.
  10. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Playing any music makes me feel younger. The music on the radio today just makes me feel ill basically. :)
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Younger than who? ;)
  12. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I am 64 and am always glad to be playing anything. I find that the audience for live music is getting older and older no matter what type of music you are playing. The bars with bands have the older people and the bars with DJ's seem to get the younger.
  13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I think you make a very important point. Live music for, "the MP3 download generation" has not been exposed to their culture in the same way as it had been exposed to the cultures of older generations. Most bar/club patrons in their 20's prefer a DJ with a good sound system than a live band. If you are going to be playing bars and clubs chances are you will be playing to older crowds. And yes, they the customers, want to hear music that makes them feel younger. In most cases they are older songs.
  14. zachoff

zachoff

I prefer to play heavy music. Not sure I play it because it makes me feel younger though. I play it because it hypes me up. The heavier the better.
  15. pklima

pklima

No. I play music that makes women feel I'm younger.
  16. bassteban

bassteban

Im 49 & in my current bands, play mostly 80s or older. Ramones, Clash, etc in one and more popish crap(Police, Cyndi Lauper, CCR, Tom Petty)in the other; regardless of the tunes, I play music because(among other reasons)it makes ME feel young. I think playing hundred-year-old jazz would make me feel young if I was w/the right bunch
  17. SteveC

SteveC

I'm 47. I haven't gigged for a couple years. When I was it was with guys who are 10-12 years younger. We did covers, jazz, R&B, etc. I never really felt out of place. Some gigs were more comfortable than others, but I look/act younger than I am so I got away with it. My wife is much younger than I am so that helps as well.

We played whatever music got us gigs. We all had similar tastes so it worked out well. We still play together at church for the contemporary service so that's fun.
  18. stratovani

stratovani

I always play music that makes me feel younger, but my younger, as in when I was in my youth in the 60s, 70s, and some 80s. The music from the 90s and 2000s does nothing for me. After all, I'm a Boomer! ;)
  19. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Nothing makes me feel younger. but music is still one of the few things that energizes me, exhilarates me, gives me a rush. Era not important if it's good. Just like it always has. I'll take it.
  20. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

This thread alone makes me feel old
  21. rtslinger

rtslinger

I when I play bass on stage I feel ageless no matter the music it is about getting the energy from the crowd and entertaining them 110%