1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you support live music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SaucyJackBass, Nov 26, 2013.

1. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

I constantly hear how bad the music scene is and how original bands can't build a following. Yet almost no one from bands that I know, schedule time to go support the music scene. If people who are passionate about music don't attend shows, what makes people think a non-musician would?
  2. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

The sad irony is that the people most passionate as you put it... are out gigging when they're friends are playing.

I play in a Rush tribute band so you can imagine our following is a lot of musicians. When do we play? The same time they are, weekend nights. And when we're not playing, it's a night off we can spend with family.

Very tough to do both once you have kids.
  3. DeadZeriousBass

DeadZeriousBass

I for one try to attend at least 1 show a week on top of my busy schedule. My GF gets mad but I say to her your dating a musician get used to it
  4. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I go out and see original bands with my wife and
    friends whenever possible. I don't support cover
    bands at all.

I gig in my band 1 or 2 times a month. We play
    originals and try and book gigs with other original
    bands. Going out to see other original bans is a
    great way to network.
  5. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Originals, jazz, small chamber & symphonic concerts, regionally touring artists, etc. Yes.

Mustang Sally cover bands in smoky bars playing for drunks. No.
  6. eriky4003

eriky4003

Agree with the Ked, I do.
    I was a huge supporter of live music in my youth, sans kids. Our band practices on Thursdays so by Friday night after the kids are in bed, so am I. That said, not sure if I would be out supporting original acts. I'd probably pick my bar and support it while seeing the band booked that night, original or otherwise.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I seldom go out to see other bands, even when I'm not gigging.
  8. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

After playing hundreds and hundreds of gigs in bars I've found that these are not environments I generally want to be in when I'm not gigging. As for bigger venues, if an act that interests me comes to town (a fairly rare occurrence, unfortunately) I'll definitely make an effort to go and see the show.
  9. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I used to support my scene heavily.
    rabidly even.

Then I had a kid. And the pub crawling days are over. Rarely if ever do I even go to a venue that I'm not playing at. I'm lucky to have the time and permission(?)to get out as much as I do. If I wasn't making money at it......I'm sure it'd be a tougher sell.
    I still promote local bands on social networks and the like, but actual physical support? There's no way that I can.
  10. marko138

marko138

Sometimes. As was said, it's tough when you have a family at home and you're usually gigging yourself.

But there's also a severe lack of good bands around here any more anyway. Well, at least the stuff I want to listen to.
  11. 10cc

10cc

WordTDMF
  12. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I'll check out a live band if the pints are reasonably priced and the amateurs reasonably absent.
  13. lustersilk

lustersilk

I constantly go and see bands play original music. When we gig I usually show up early to see the first band on the bill or stay late to see the later ones. I am often supporting the local kids and their bands as well, by taking my kids to their gigs. I've been more surprised at these gigs lately than others. A lot of very talented youngsters out there. I also support choral and classical music in our community.

I will listen to a cover band if they are playing at a place I'm at, but will not go to a place specifically to see a cover band unless it's someone like Punk Rock Karaoke or Me First and the Gimme Gimme's.
  14. spanndrew

spanndrew

I go to about 3 shows a month, some local bands, some touring.
  15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely. Time is scarce sometimes, but my wife and I have been to six shows in the last two months, plus two full days of a music festival. I also buy the merch when I find something I like.
  16. senp5f

senp5f

I try to but covers here are $10-$15 and then the venues really expect you to buy at least a coupe drinks at $5-$7 each. So you're talking $25 minimum most nights, more like $35 on others. Do that once a week and it's $100 a month, or $1,200 a year.

I go when I can but it's usually to see a friend's band or when there's no cover and I can just buy a couple of drinks. Bars just charge too much here.
  17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    My family spends a fair amount of money on live music, mostly classical and chamber. Bands are almost universally too damn loud.
  18. lustersilk

lustersilk

I agree completely.
  19. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

I don't really enjoy going out to hear other bands. I barely have time for the two bands I'm in.
  20. bassinplace

bassinplace

I go to a minimum of one show or concert per month. Many times it works out to be more than that depending on who's playing in a given month. It feeds my inspiration and informs my playing.