Do you take your valuable basses to gigs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shadven, Jan 10, 2014.

1. shadven

shadven

I am about to acquire a very valuable bass (15 grand-ish). I want to gig with it but I'd be devastated if it was stolen. I do have other nice basses I can gig with. I'll probably save it for very special gigs. What do other people do? I have several valuable vintage basses and amps and I bought them to play, not as museum pieces.
  2. pedroims

pedroims

15,000 !! be sure you have insurance for that bass buddy. To answer your question, I have taken all my basses to my church gig, the most expensives being on the $3500-$4000 , there is nothing like play your basses in a live situation.
  3. Johnpjm

Johnpjm

I'm in the same boat right now, with a similarly priced bass. I ordered this bass to play it, though. I wanted my dream bass, and it's getting here, and I plan on playing the absolute crap out of it. In terms of dings, I've had a Music Man Bongo bass, which is made out of soft wood, and I have only put one tiny scuff on it in two years, and it has literally traveled across Canada, twice, and down the East of the USA.

So really, I wouldn't be too worried. Depends on the neighborhood, too. Hope my story helps your decision!
  4. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Simple... keep an eye on your gear. Don't allow an opportunity for your instruments to be stolen. The only way someone can steal mine at a gig is to rob me directly, and they had better be armed.

One good analogy... would you drive your $15,000 car, or leave it in the garage and never take it out? It could be stolen, crashed, scratched, etc...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Where else can you show off your nicest axes ?

Yeah, the answer is yes. But then...my most expensive bass was under 2'000.
  7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I say yes, though my idea of extraordinarily valuable is $5,000. $15,000 is a different territory for a bass (more power to you, glad you're getting your dream axe!). But yikes, that would rough!

I always look at it like, if I'm comfortable enough with the surroundings to bring myself, so to I should be with my bass (as long as you keep an eye on it and are diligent about moving it to a safe location right when you take your strap off).
  8. chris_b

chris_b

I would gig a bass like that if I owned it.

On the other hand, I'd be very careful with it. I'd keep it in the case behind the drum kit when I wasn't playing it.

If you buy basses as investments maybe you should leave them at home.
  9. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Good question. I just received a used Fender Am. Special Jazz 4 string for that reason. I wanted a decent bass for some of the more "low brow" gigs, and I play my Modulus and Roscoe basses at the festivals, nicer rooms, etc...
    Also, cover your foot pedals at gigs during breaks. I have seen beer spilled EVERYWHERE!
  10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    "Gig" can mean a lot of things, everything from a well-lit, carpeted stage in front of a church... to a dark dive bar with barbed wire across the front of the bandstand and broken beer bottles on the floor.

You must choose the appropriate-ness of taking which bass to which situation.
  11. Steveman

Steveman

If the gig is safe enough for your body, it's safe enough for your gear.
  12. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Never spent $15,000 for a bass, but I do have some in the $3,000 range. I would never buy a bass that I wouldn't take to a gig. I have very good stands and always place then strategically out of the way. On the other hand I played with a guitar player who would take his 1957 ES175 to gigs and put it on a cheap guitar stand. I kept warning him. One day it was on it's way to being knocked over, but luckily he caught it in time. That was the last time I saw it on a gig. If I could afford real vintage instruments as strictly an investment I'd probably leave them in a case at home.
  13. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

be sure its insured ....doo doo happens
  14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I usually take a combination of my Ric, Steinberger, or US Jazz to gigs and never had a problem. Those arent $15K but both the Ric and Steiny are over $1800 each and the Jazz is over $1000. Even though I do take care of my stuff, I dont want museum pieces. Put it in its case when you are not using it between sets if you are worried.
  15. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Was never too concerned during gigs. More paranoid when loading out, that's when things tend to disappear.
  16. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I would never own a bass I wouldn't play out with. No matter how much it cost. It would break my heart knowing I had a better sound at home, hiding under the bed.
  17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I take a pair of basses to every gig, usually from this trio. I bought them to play them out - I do have musical instrument insurance, but I just load my own stuff and my basses stay with me, not with anyone else.

[​IMG]
  18. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

It would depend on the gig. If it were at a decent place in a decent neighborhood then I probably would. If it were a place that allowed smoking then I wouldn't because I wouldn't want my $15K bass to smell like smoke! Either way I would have a good insurance rider on it and put it back in the case between sets.
  19. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

What bass are you getting for 15 large? Got pics?
  20. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

I do take my Ric and Jazz to gigs. The Ric is over $1600. I ain't in your territory.
  21. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Of course. What else would I do with them?