Do you think Mackie has their act back together?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lync, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Lync

Lync

Loud pumped some money back into them...Ampeg seems to be healthy and I have a recent Mackie SRM450V2 (black) that has been great for a few years.

I just bought a DL1608 and love it...I want to get a pair of active 12's for out front and I see Mackie has these:

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm-series-loudspeakers/?gclid=CPG2sJH2gL0CFaVQOgodMk0AVw

Wood casing and pretty light with some decent features. Can they hang with QSC, JBL, or the new Yamahas? What do you say bass/sound engineer brothers and sisters?

[​IMG]

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I for one don't trust them as far as I can throw them... Mackie seems to be delivering feature set superiority at a price point. IME that doesn't generally translate to quality at a price point... I do not dig component failure. My money has gone Presonus SL, JBL PRX and QSC K series.

I'm about to redo my sub package. Mackie isn't on the list.

3. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

mackie HD series are great...love them. i have been using them in my band for a few years now and have never had a problem with them...

the cheaper stuff im not 100% about...they sound ok...i just don't know how they will hold up. the SRM450v2's have been great. but that is about it...

4. Lync

Lync

I think these are a replacement for the HD series. I am looking at the new EV 12's also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

nope....not the case...these are in addition to the SRM series...to compete better in line with the K series...

7. Lync

Lync

Ahh-I see that...they have several different lines now. Once in a while, the HD's can be found at a good price B stock. I'll keep a look out for them.

8. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

the HD's are great...just heavy!

9. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

I hope so...their new boxes (like these SRM's) look very professional, if they get the quality issues of the last few years fixed they could be a real player again.

10. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

FYI, I actually heard the new SRM boxes and subs at a music store today, I was pretty impressed at moderate volume levels. Didn't get a chance to crank them up really, as the demo room was really small. Again, hoping service/reliability doesn't become and issue. More relevant players in the MI sound reinforcement market is always good.