1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you think this bass would be good for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deoindra123, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

I'm a youngin' who sick of the bass I have! I want a good slap tone when i play but can't find a good cheap bass for under $250 ! I found 2 of these Epiphone basses:
    -The Epiphone Toby Standard IV Bass
    -The Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV Bass

At the moment I have a Squier Short Scale Modified Jaguar bass
    I mean it has an okay slap tone but not that great! Any way I could make it sound better or should I purchase one of these 2 basses?

Heres the link to both of them:

1) The standard model:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnuzBug7gao

2) The deluxe model:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQfHy41OxSM

Thanks for all the help!

2. KISSbestfan

KISSbestfan

Haha, you know mate, this bass looks nearly the same, as one of the bass I got - made by Polish manufactury under the brand Presto Lang (parts manufactury PRESTO with luthier LANGowski):
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/bas2x.jpg/
    As I remembered it was very good for slap, but as it was only a copy, I can only tell that the shape, and neck profile was good.

3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    "Slap tone" can be greatly influenced by two things:

1) Your strings
    2) Your EQ settings

With some nice rounds (or chrome flats) and a smiley face EQ or some variant of...you will get a classic slap tone out of nearly any electric bass guitar

4. Zoa

Zoa

Neither of those basses will be a spectacular slap bass, they sound kind of dark and don't play all that well in my experience. What is your ideal "slap tone," and what strings, amp, and EQ are you using?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

I just do with what I can get but I definately would like a victor wooten/wayman tisdale bass sound! I use

-D'Addario EXL160 Nickel Wound Bass Guitar Strings, Medium, 50-105, Long Scale

-Behringer Thunderbird BX108 1x8" Bass Combo Amp

-And my EQ im not too sure about, all I know is I use alot of treble with a mix of the bass tone knob in it and a little bit of mid

Im sorry, im one of those kids who can play bass but doesn't know much about preamps, eq settings, and etc. Thanks for your help!

7. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Good according to who?? The 70s are full of records with p basses slapping. Classic sound, yet people consider it to be a bad slap sound nowadays. I say go for it with any bass that you love to play. Les Claypools sound is completely different than Marcus Millers and both sound amazing!

8. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

My CV 60's P has a foam mute and chromes on it...sounds AWESOME when I slap it!! :bassist:

9. Zoa

Zoa

Those strings should be fine as long as they aren't too old and dead

^That is your problem. Get a real amp before spending money on a bass you might not need. Those Jags are perfectly fine for an entry-level bass.

10. bassteban

bassteban

Very much a matter of opinion, IMO. ;)
    On that note, I like: Wide spacing at the bridge(3/4")& tight, Jazz-like nut width(1 1/2"), 20-fret necks and P-Bass body shapes. Active preamps are nice but not required, same goes for 4-strings; I can slap my 5 & 6, but the 4 feels more nimble to me.
    All that said, you may like something completely different.

11. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

Oh wow Really?! The amp is pretty basic and I always thought, "Oh well I think its the bass that is pretty bad!" I never took notice to the amp! Thank you and any recommendations for a nice cheap bass amp?

12. Zoa

Zoa

What's your budget?

13. Ragoo

Ragoo

If you can find some of the 1st gen Acoustic stuff, GC is willing to part with it for some pretty amazing prices. Keep a B100 or B200 combo in mind.

14. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

Well I'm 16 and Always payed with the money I've earned but I've been selling a lot of my stuff and get a little help from my parents but I just want something simple but great between $100-150

15. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

Thanks!

16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

This bass seems to work well for slapping...

..although, I'm not certain that's a bass fish.

17. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

For that kind of money I would suggest a used Ibanez sr250 or sx jazz

18. Zoa

Zoa

In that case I'd second Ragoo's recommendation for Acoustic 1st gen stuff. Try going used, you can get much more bang for your buck that way. Peavey, Acoustic, Ampeg, Gallien-Krueger and Hartke are good common brands at low prices, try to avoid Behringer and Seismic.

Most any bigger amp from a better brand will sound better than your current, but at least 100w and a 15 inch speaker (or multiple smaller ones) will not only sound much better, but will be loud enough to play with other people as well.

19. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I should mention I have a Toby and the stock pickups are week. I put some Duncans on mine and set it up for bead now it is decent for a very cheap bass. I like the wider neck it has I find it is okay for slapping. That being said I also suck at slap. Lol

20. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
  21. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

I was thinking the ibanez sr250 but I only have about $200 and I cant seem to find any sx jazz basses anywhere! I chekced their site and all their is are the ursa line basses and I even tried ebay but nothing!