Do you think this is an Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Akito, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Akito

Akito

2. Akito

Akito

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Yes it is. Looks like a Gibson-era, lower-end model so $1500 is about right if it's healthy. Ask MollyKay to be sure. She's the resident expert.

4. Jsn

Jsn

Whoa. Maybe this is displaying my ignorance, but I've never seen a bridge like that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
  7. MollyKay

MollyKay

Disclosures:
    Bass Hobby'ist
    This is a late model Gibson/Epiphone BV studio bass. Entry level student model. The bridge could be Selmer or Framus. The serial number will be die stamped parallel with the saddle at the bottom of the bass. If you find the serial number please report back to me and I will catalog the bass with the other Epiphone basses.

Best wishes and good luck. Epiphone’s are some of the best American made plywood basses of their era. :D

8. Akito

Akito

9. Akito

Akito

10. Akito

Akito

Thanks everyone for the replies and input. I went ahead and posted the pics in the thread. I'll look for the serial asap.
    How are you folks relatively certain that this is an Epiphone and not something else with an Epiphone tailpiece tacked on? I'm really curious. I guess the serial number will help verify that as well.
    Also, do any of you have a guess as to a general production date? I don't know when late Gibson era was.

The bass looked to be in very good condition to my novice eye. I was surprised, and that really makes me wonder how old it is.
    That bridge, as you can probably tell in the pictures, makes for a very flat radius. The nut and neck made for very smooth playing though. The action is very low. I really liked the feel of the neck and fingerboard.
    Does anyone have an idea of what strings might be on there? Thanks again. You folks are very appreciated!
    BTW I made an offer, we'll see if the seller is interested.

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Oh, its an Epiphone, all right! Maybe you should read Molly's post again - she told you exactly what it was and where to find the serial number.

The strings are D'Addario Helicore Pizzicato.

12. MollyKay

MollyKay

Disclosures:
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Or you can dive into this information to see pictures, descriptions, vintage catalogs and print advertisements. 100% sure…its an Epiphone BV Studio model made between 1960 -1963. :hyper:

[​IMG]

13. Akito

Akito

I actually found the site last night and read a great deal. Great information! It has the answers to everything I was asking. The rosewood board, the sound holes, the scroll etc. and the years that Gibson produced the basses. Greatly appreciate everything!
    I'll post the serial if I get a look at it.The store is a bit of a drive and not in my normal rounds. At the store they told me the traditional maple bridge comes with it as well. I'll see if I can figure out if it's original.

14. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

There's no way to tell if the maple bridge is original and it really doesn't matter. The original bridge would not add any value.

- Steve

15. Akito

Akito

Good point, I just think it would be cool if it was. I want to check out the tuners again too because I think they looked different than the ones I have seen pictured.

16. Steve Boisen

There's currently a similar Epiphone bass for $1,400 on craigslist in my area. It looks like an older model. Crummy pictures, but there is a closeup of the tuners.

- Steve

17. angelopb

angelopb

Steve, the link was no good as of last week. They never replied to me. That was supposedly the B5, high end model. I wonder if it sold or if seller backed down. I would love one of those in blonde. I dig the tailpiece too.

18. Steve Boisen

That was a very cool looking bass. It's been gone from craigslist for a while now. There was a '57 American Standard there recently but I see that's gone too. Gotta act fast!

- Steve

19. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  20. angelopb

angelopb

That one in Vancouver is sweet. Love the grain and arch top. I think these Epi blondes are so rad looking. They don't look like p.o.s. school instruments.

21. MollyKay

MollyKay

Disclosures:
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Whoever gets this beauty in Vancouver let me know the serial number. Looks like a very late model Epi. The serial number should be on the end of the fingerboard, some where around ~3100. :D