1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you think your cabinet makes more of a difference than the amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

If you compare several class D amps do you think the choice of the cabinet make more of a difference than the amp itself or do they equally contribute to your sound?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Way too many variables to generalize. Even "class D" is a broad category with many different tones.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

And this type of question is an old, over asked one.
  4. Mehve

Mehve

A little apples and oranges. You have a much wider range of options from a head, courtesy of the drive/EQ/etc, but there are still things you just can't do with those dials that a cab makes happen smoothly and naturally. And the wrong cab can stiffle or muck up all your efforts with the head.

Personally, I like to treat the cab as the foundation, the head as the building and decoration. Get the former right, and you've got the freedom to build whatever you want on top of it with the head.
  5. smogg

smogg

Both determine the final outcome. That's why certain combinations work better than others.
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I think that there are far more high quality good sounding heads in a variety of price range than cabs. Good cabs are harder to find and more costly.
  7. backup

backup

differs. i use ampeg PF500 head which doesnt change much of the natural sound of my bass but the PF115 cab does a more significant difference.
    (at least if i compare the head's post DI output and the rig's final sound)
    there are other cabs that are more "sterile" and may be used with amps that really change the tone of the bass.
  8. bertbass666

bertbass666

YES, without a doubt.
  9. Musicman20

Musicman20

+ 1, and we are paying through the roof for Neo speakers still.
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Regardless of the amp topology, the cab matters more than the amp.
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes

I have a "home-made" (not by me) 1X15 ported cab on casters that I've had for, well, a couple of decades that I loaded with a Carvin driver way back then. I've used it with a silverfaced Bassman Export, a Carvin PB300, my current Carvin MB-12 as an extension cab, and a couple of my friends have used it with other amps over the years. When I was shopping for a bass head I used it as my test cab because it was portable, and I've auditioned (older) GK, Ampeg, Hartke, Trace Elliot, and probably some others I can't remember, through it. It has done what it needs to do with all of them, sounding pretty much the same, while bringing out each amp's shortcomings.

So of all the amps listed, it's a pretty diverse troika of heads to have "made the cut" with this cabinet: a 1968 Fender Bassman "Export," a 1993 Carvin PB-300, and a 2012 Carvin MB-12 (class D).
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

In my case, most definitely. Any power amp will do.
  13. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Both are equally important, unless you think differently. :)
  14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

This is what bassist Jimmy Johnson said on the Ambelic forum.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cab is THE most important part of the chain. Crap bass + crap amp + great cab = great sound. Great bass + great amp + crap cab = crap sound.
  16. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Ditto.

Of all the parts in the signal chain, the speaker/cab is the one you hear.
  17. chadds

chadds

+ :)
  18. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Another vote for cabinet is most important. I think as a general rule of thumb the transducers are always the most important part of a signal processing chain, which would mean the bass and the speaker cabinet(s) are the most important determinants of the overall transfer function.

A lot of cabinets have a 'baked-in' sound that you cannot defeat with EQ from your amp or bass. Some are more hi-fi and full-range, which then makes the character of the bass and amp more important. But even then, it's that full-range, hi-fi characteristic of the cabinet that is setting the tone, so to speak, for that rig.