Do you tip when you get a carry out?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pica, Jan 20, 2013.

1. pica

pica

I had gotten a carry out the other night. Nothing fancy just a sandwich and some fries. When I got the bill there was a spot under the total for a tip. I kind of paused for a second while deciding whether to leave a tip or not. I decided not to leave a tip because all this guy did was take my order. Turns out this guy didn't even go to the kitchen to get my food, somebody else brought it out. What do you do?
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

For that kind of deal, I throw in a buck for a tip.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

There are some places (Cheeseburger Cheesburger) that automatically popped you for a tip. That sucks. I wonder about tipping at a buffet. You serve yourself. I don't usually.
  4. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

I usually don't tip when I'm the one carrying out my food but it really depends. At a Subway or a coffee place they usually have a tip jar and I'll throw a buck or two in there.
  5. 4dog

4dog

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

I am a generous tipper with waiters, waitresses, bartenders, and baristas, but I don't tip for picking up a take-out order.
  7. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

I only tip if I'm being waited on at a table, or having the food delivered to my door.
  8. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Same here. Don't tip when I pick up a takeout order. I do at all other times though. Worked in the industry, so I generally am rather generous in my tips.
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

For delivery, yes.

For take-out, no.
  10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'll usually drop the change in the tip jar, plus a little extra if they've done something extra or I'm a regular.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I generally don't, but restaurant staff all earn at least minimum wage.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not true. Servers often do not. "Tipped employees" are not required to be paid the normal minimum wage. There is a lower minimum for them, but it's less than half the normal minimum wage.
  13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I almost always tip something. Dunno why, I guess I was just raised that way.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I always tip (unless the service is terrible with a bad attitude). Even with carry out I at least throw in a buck. Here's the way I see it. Those guys working at a take-out joint are at least trying and doing something other than sitting on their butts and collecting a check for doing nothing. I always reward effort. Sure, they're making minimum wage. But that's not money. So if my dollar helps out, great. But I'm not a poor young struggling musician wondering where my rent is coming from this month either. So I am in the position to throw a few bones around.
  15. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

In Nebraska the minimum wage is the same as the Federal, $7.25. The minimum for "tipped employees" is $2.13. The law reads that if the employees tips don't bring them up to the State minimum the employer makes up the difference. In actuality this isn't always adhered to by the employers.
  16. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    You folks are in different countries, remember. :)
  17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
  18. pica

pica

Good point.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

I will also tip the heck out of a delivery driver if the food isn't cold. That is not always the simpleton slacker job that people make it out to be. I was a good delivery driver, but man... the hustle.
  20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Under the FLSA, they're still required to be paid the equivalent of minimum wage if they do not recieve enough in tips to amount to minimum wage.

But as afadams pointed out, some employers aren't always good at making sure they adhere to this law. I remember I had a friend in high school who got paid like $2.00/hr to work at an ice cream stand. The justification was that he should get tips. First, the owner was in serious violation of the FLSA. Second, who the hell tips at an ice cream stand?