Do you trust Yelp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matante, Feb 21, 2014.

1. matante

matante

Actually this applies to online reviews in general.

I just saw this on craigslist.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/wri/4343756557.html

2. tplyons

tplyons

Do I trust Yelp? Yes, absolutely.

There are caveats, though. Look for trends. If there are 500 reviews, you know a good majority of those are real. If there are three and they're all well written, glowing reviews, there's a good chance that some were paid for.

And if they seem too good to be true, look at the Yelp reviewer's profile. If they only post five star ratings, they might do it professionally. If there are some that are positive, some that are negative, they might be real.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Yes I do.

I usually weed out the "OMG! This place is the best ever" and the "OMG! This place sucks, never eat here" reviews though.

-Mike
  4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

+1. Gotta look beyond the extreme opinions with little substance. Just like with gear reviews on TB.;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I have the same approach, however I have still been burned a time or two and later came to realize that I bought into some paid or employee reviews
  7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I read only the two through four star reviews. I follow the olympic figure skating scoring rules.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Well, like with most any type of user review, you have to take it with a grain of salt, since self-selection may play a role (i.e., those who are dissatisfied may be more likely to post a review while those who are pleased may remain silent). It's another avenue to help ease a little bit of bounded rationality and make an informed decision.
  9. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member

Many do not know that Yelp is primarily a merchant-sponsored advertising site masquerading as a user-based review site.

That said, the request for writing fake reviews above is completely unethical.
  10. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

I have an account on their "Yelp Talk" threads...don't frequent much cause there's so much trolling. Let's just say TBers are way nicer and less sarcastic :D
  11. Steve

Steve

Yelp? Is it on the internet?

There's your answer.

I don't even believe half of what I post let alone someone else.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I use Yelp while traveling around the US and have never found it to be lacking. I do read multiple reviews and compare places rather than just jumping for the first one that comes up. Reading the reviews often reveals the writer's bias (if any) and you can evaluate the review from the bias. I haven't found evidence of multiple shill reviews.
  13. Immigrant

Immigrant

I trust Yelp and have found some entertainment value in reading reviews on prisons, institutions, hospitals, etc.
  14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Yelp as well as google local and other online review sites are top heavy with miserable people with an agenda. I use yelp for locations and addresses only.