Do you tweak your compressor on a gig?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

I tend to leave my Markbass Compressore set with a high gain, a rather quick attack, medium release, and a medium low ratio. I do experiment, but once I find a tone I like, my compressor becomes the one pedal I don't touch all night, but am I getting all the justice I can out of the pedal? Say you're playing a party band gig. Would you mess with the compressor to get different tones? What compression settings do different songs/genres use or tend to use?

Jedi Master Bongo?
  2. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I have the same pedal and I only mess with the gain if I switch basses, but otherwise I leave it alone. It's always on and it's pretty much set in stone.
  3. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes I have to do some tweaks on threshold and attack on my MB-Compressore, when I change from fingerstyle to pick.
  4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

No. One of the points of using compression is to obtain consistency. If your messing with settings during a gig, your lose the consistency.

I see your point about playing covers and getting different sounds, but IMO, I still want to sound like me and sound consistent when playing covers, not try to emulate other bassists and sound like the record. Might as well play a CD if that's your aim.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

I use mine (bbe opto stomp) to smooth out volume differences between strings, so no, I have it set the way I want it and don't ess with it at all.
  7. onosson

onosson

When I do use a compressor (which isn't much anymore these days), I do find myself adjusting it through the course of a night. The reason being that as I get warmed up, my technique improves and I am able to play with more "fluency" and find that I need less compression by the end of a night than I would at the beginning.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would not suggest changing settings mid-gig unless you have a super-simple two-knob comp where it's more a question of coarse settings that you can easily tweak to.

Instead, get multiple compressors. :) :D Or a G-Lab dual pedal.
  9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Depends on whether you use it as an effect or not. Are you trying to even out your sound, squash it for slap, make it pump?? If you do all these things in the course of a night, you have to adjust your compressor. It's a tool. Use it as much or as little as you need to.
  10. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

You mean like having a simpler compressor in the front of the signal path that you tweek for tone and a more complex pedal with attack/threshold/etc at the end? Now this is starting to sound like a recording strip.
  11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That would be an option, but a tricky one that I wouldn't recommend to the average user.

What I meant instead was if you have one pedal but you need it to have different settings, then you can get multiples of the same pedal, and switch between them. That might sound silly, but it's one practical answer to changing settings, especially since compressor settings can be so finicky.