1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you unplug between sets?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Jan 5, 2014.

?

Do you unplug your active bass between sets?

1. Yes! I hate buying batteries!

123 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No! I have lots of spare batteries!

48 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

I've always been, well anal when it comes to extending the battery life in my active basses. I always unplug the bass between sets rather than just keeping it plugged in all night.

I know the preamps don't draw too much juice, so am I being too anal?

What does everyone else do?
  2. mick46

mick46

Unplug , always.... You are not alone !
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. Lyske

Lyske

I work for a band and I ALWAYS unplug every guitar/bass.
    It wouldn't be the first time someone walks across the stage, gets stuck behind a cable and pulls the guitar out of a stand.
    Not only for damage on the body, but also the electronics inside.
    I can fix much before a show but if you pull out your electronics and the venue has no soldering iron you're screwed...
  5. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Passive only. When I used to play active, I unplugged.
  6. sacreddog717

sacreddog717

I do the same thing out of habit. I always unplug if I take a break. That way I don't leave it plugged in if I'm practicing at home or long breaks. I know me and I need that kind of discipline. Last thing I want to do is wind up with a dead battery or have to change them before every gig. YMMV.
  7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Fretless Stingray, active, always unplug.
  8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

I ALWAYS unplug between sets. I prefer passive basses, but like wireless. It's been a habit for many years - whether with active basses, going wireless...whatever. I often put my bass in it's case when on break, too. Not a bad habit ;)
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman

I play two basses, a 12-string guitar and keyboards. Unplugging ANYTHING sounds like a recipe for disaster. The only thing I know for sure uses batteries while plugged in are my 12 string, and my tuner. Both basses are passive, thank God.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

Nope. My Fishman and EMGs are plenty efficient.
  11. bh2

bh2

Always unplug the active... not the passive, I always turn the amp vol down to zero or turn it off though.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

The trip on the cable scene is my reason to unplug too. Even Passive. Usually I play G&L 2500 these days, which though it still drains the battery in passive mode if plugged in, at least lets you play in passive (and sound great too) if the battery does go dead.

But the real fear isn't batteries, (every active case has a spare) but the famous bumbler tripping over cables on the stage floor and taking your instrument(s) with him. Yes, if the worst happens I do have a back-up bass in the truck, but I'd just as soon not see my babies falling over.
  13. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

I always gig using my wireless and never unplug from the bass during a gig. I've never had a battery die on a gig. I only own active basses and I fortunately can afford to buy new batteries when needed. I also do not turn my transmitter off between sets for other reasons. Works for me, others surely will differ.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yes, you are...

- georgestrings
  15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Thanks for setting me straight! LOL
  16. Nivek91

Nivek91

+1

For a while I even unplugged my amp head from the cabinet I gigged with. Literally minutes before going on a member of another band tripped over my cable set-up/amp and ripped the jack right out of the back of the amp. Had to run directly through the amp the whole show.
  17. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

A valid concern, IMO - I pretty much always run wireless, so it's a non-issue for me...

- georgestrings
  18. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Nope, and battery lasts like forever...
  19. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Has nothing to do with battery life for me....passive or active, I always unplug. I'm not interested in someone tripping on a cable and yanking an instrument out of/off of a stand.
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I tended to unplug the bass, save some battery life, less risk for accidents.
    However, now that I'm wireless it's not that much of a concern anymore, but I still unplug out of habit.