1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you use a Warwick bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Dec 15, 2013.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Supporting Member

Good morning fellows, a question for you. I see Warwick bass amp ads here all the time, but I rarely see the amps in the online stores. Living in Alaska, I don't have the luxury of trying one live but three or four times a year. I went to GC last trip and there weren't any Warwicks to be found.

If you use a Warwick bass amp, does it meet the high quality standards of its bass guitars? Does the tone have a signature sound? Are you really crazy about your Warwick amp?

Thanks for any discussion.
  2. alaskaleftybass

3. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

Like their bass they now have bass amp at multiple price point. The Hellborg serie is as high end as it can be and I'd say that their new amps are very good for the money.

I think they have a very transparent tone but with many tone options. I don't own one but thinking about it and I tried them a couple of times.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You need to give it more than an hour...

With that said, I'll guess that very few play a Warwick amp here.
  5. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

They're almost impossible to find in the US. No idea why we get so many ads for them on Talkbass?
  6. eulogy77

eulogy77

I used to have a pro tube ix, it was a good sounding amp, I had it for few months, I sold it, I had an offer that I just couldn't pass by and sold it,
  7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I have a WA300 running through an older (much older) WCA411 Pro. I bought the amp for about $450 in a clearance sale and the cab second hand for $300 - it's a fantastic rig in its own right, but getting it for $750 was a bonus.

I have nothing to complain about regarding the cab, except that it is massive and heavy. Good response across the board, and has especially nice, round lows, which sounds great in a live situation. It's built like a tank.

The WCA300 is a 300 watt solid state amp. It is very transparent and quiet, and will sound completely different depending on the bass you're putting through it. It's compressor is actually useful, and its EQ section is more than adequate for my needs. The pre/post switch on the DI out is a useful feature, as is the aux in and headphone outs - the fact that they are minijacks makes these features much more useable. It's not as warm as, say, its Hartke equivalent, but that is easily remedied. Active basses sound great through the WA, but IMO there is too much padding on the active input. It doesn't really have a signature tone - transparent is the best description - but it won't make all your basses sound the same, which is good.
  8. KimGT99

KimGT99

Hi!

Had a pro tube once, but it wasn't my cup of tea, so after a while I sold it. Mechanically it wasn't build very good, the tubes were build horizontally, had to get this fixed because they wouldn't stay properly in their sockets. The cab was a Terminator cab, not the very best cab I owned.

But...

Now I own a Hellborg system! This is a complete different thing: good quality built, great clear, clear, clear tone (if this is what you are looking for). It does one unspectacular, yet very useful thing: it amplifies the very sound of your bass! No, I'm not nuts: it amplifies it WITHOUT colouring! Sound of the bass, just louder! Of course you can equalize...but still. New a bit pricy though, got everything used or b-stock items.
    The cabs (I use 1x15 Locab 1x15 Clubcab) should just be checked for the screws. Might be tightened. The finish is also a little bit sensitive. That's why I had 2 flightcases built.

For the rest of their range I don't know.
  9. alaskaleftybass

Thanks for the answers. I was wondering if I was missing something because I come here every day and I see Warwick amp ads at least once and hour lol.....

Yeah, I got a little impatient on bumping my own thread, but I was worried about getting buried.

The Hellborg sounds very pricey.... but like anything else I guess....
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It IS pricey not to mention heavy. It's one of the few SS amps to have an output transformer. As such, it is unsafe to operate without a load.

When I first saw the pre-amp, I though it was absolutely beautiful. Mind you I thought that the pre was the whole amp with a Class D power amplifier inside. It became much less tempting when I ascertained the weight and cost of the entire system.
  11. moff40

moff40

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses
    I was offered them as part of my endorsement deal, but declined; not because I don't like them, but because I've never heard or played one, and I've always been an Ampeg guy (well, except for a brief period in the late '80s/early '90s when I used Trace Elliott).
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The ads are based on user search preferences. Cookies...
  13. alaskaleftybass

So you noticed the "Ad Choices" too? It's a new perogative by the web sales industry to track you while online. Now the question is -- where have I been that sells Warwick??? LOL
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Warwick amp love on this forum and I don't know why not. But, I'm "guessing" it may be because of cost and a lack of availability in local music stores - and does MF, SW, etc stock/sell them?
  15. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

I know that. I'm a software developer and I have buddies who make big bucks as Hadoop devs in ad agencies/brokerages. But considering I've probably only seen a Warwick bass amp in a physic store once or twice in my life, it's like selling ice to an Alaskan...
  16. Goteky45

Goteky45

I used the hellborg preamp once at a gig. Best sound I ever heard. Beautiful is really the word to describe it. The cabs of the same line are also said to be amazing.

I own a ProFet 5.2 and the WCA 2x10 . this line is also a common backline here (I think it´s the equivalent to your bomb-proof peaveys). The head is pretty powerful for its rating and always has a gnarly sound. a nice overdriven zing. I cant really explain it.

The WCA cabs... are rock solid, heavy has hell and will last a thousand gigs. They sound ok for the price.
  17. Goteky45

Goteky45

So... comparing the basses to the amps:

The hellborg line would relate to the high end basses. everything else is like the korean warwicks.

hope I helped
  18. alaskaleftybass

LOL This place always gives me a chuckle... :D
  19. alaskaleftybass

Thank you Goteky45, yes you did.:D