Do you use some amp if you have inears?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Chirro, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Chirro

Chirro

Hi everybody. I'm planning to go inear from now on. One of the questions I have is if you put some kind of amp on stage for the rest of the band or merely for backup purposes. I'm trying to cut down my live gear and I don't know if this is needed or recommended.

Thanks in advance.
  2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Ask your bandmates what they need/want. I did at first, as my drummer wouldn't go with in-ears, and was scared to kill his monitor with my signal. After a while, though, I was able to convince him to let me run through his monitor, and I no longer use an amp on stage when using in-ears unless I don't have FOH support.
  3. jojojoshua

jojojoshua Supporting Member

I've gone back and forth on this. I am currently not using an amp at all. I run some bass to the drummers wedge for him to hear me. Since it is a single 10" powered speaker, I cut some of the lows out of his monitor as the PA and Subs provide enough lowend to carry the feel.
  4. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

I use in-ears for about 95% of my shows, but I generally always have an amp onstage, and it's usually my Fender tube head and 6x10. I don't push the rig hard, but it does fill out the stage sound (good iif the FOH system in bigger venues does not have front-fills) and it's adds some "feel". I've never been 100% happy on gigs that were completely in-ear only.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

If the quality of your IEM system and ear buds will support full instrumentation, including bass with clarity and definition, then you can certainly go without an amp. But if it doesn't you'll probably want an amp on stage with a bit of reference in your ears.

just for grins, check out this IEM engineer's tech set up...we should all be so lucky...

http://www.waves.com/in-ear-monitor...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=kyw-list
  7. poit57

poit57

The only place I use IEM is in my church's main worship area, but when I've traveled to other churches and church camps the past few years, I have just either used a class D amp head or a preamp pedal with DI to the board and then used floor wedges as my monitors.

I leave my speaker cabs set up in the youth area at my church and that's the only place I play anymore without fully relying on the PA for amplification.
  8. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Not anymore. My new band agreed to go ampless with iem.

Wohoo
  9. agreatheight

agreatheight

My rule of thumb is if the drummer is playing a real kit with real sticks, I bring an amp to fill out the sound, but if the drummer is playing electronic or playing with brushes, I just DI.
  10. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

When using IEM I often just take 12/horn powered wedge and run to that for a bit of presence on stage. If you are running IEM, amp sims on something like a B3 work really well. They sound good in your ears, in FOH, so running a full range wedge on stage works for me as it's a good representation of what I'm sending to the board.