1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you wrap your faucets

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Steve S

Steve S

It's getting cold here and last nite, it dipped to 17 degrees. I used to wrap my outdoor faucets for years but notice that many people don't do that. I wrapped 3 out of 4 faucets last nite but couldn't get the hose off of the 4th one so left it.

How many people here do this?
  2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

turn off inside.. oepn the outside valve and let sit.
  3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I put those styrofoam covers over my outside faucets in the Winter. Cost like a buck each, and covers the entire thing.
  4. standupright

standupright

Disclosures:
    Brownchicken Browncow
    i wrap the jimmy before a shimmy :ninja:
  5. ()smoke()

()smoke() Supporting Member

i wrap or cover mine when we are expecting a hard freeze...if i can't cover for whatever reason, i'll leave it dripping
  6. Randall

Randall Supporting Member

We have what are called non freeze hose bibs in Canada. It was -27 deg C here the other day so wrapping would not help any lol. ;)
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    That hose is going to be a problem. I did that once, and the hose kept enough water in the faucet that the faucet froze and cracked. A faucet froze and burst open at a rental house where I once lived.
  8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Yup. On a super deep freeze we'll turn it off from inside.
  9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Please tell me this is another dirty metaphor thread akin to grilled cheese sammiches.
  10. RWP

RWP

I don't think so but there is still time. :D
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Warm state folks say the funniest things.
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

I'm a cold state person and I've never even heard of this :D Never considered my hose faucet to lead to a pipe freezing. So I should either wrap it in something or turn on the faucet and turn off its supply?
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Turn it off from the internal valve, then open it so any remaining water evacuates. :)
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Good thing it hasn't started to ice or snow here yet.

"looks outside at ice and snow"

Crap in a hat.....
  15. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

My parent's house in Connecticut would get a frozen, split hose bib once every couple of years.
    Here in the Middle Atlantic states I haven't had a problem in the 17 years I've lived here.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

In all honesty, it doesn't happen all that often. I live in a place that's never had the outside faucet shut down in the winter and we've never had a problem (and we have long hard cold winters). Its a good precaution though.
  17. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

Turn in off from inside, that's about it.

Been living in New England all my life, and never had a pipe burst. One close call with an exposed water pipe in an unheated stairway. The water stopped flowing one sub-zero day, but it never burst. Since then that pipe has a thermostat controlled heating element that I plug in when the temps fall into the single digits.
  18. Steve S

Steve S

When you say "turn it off from inside" are you talking about the main shut off valve?
  19. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

Nope.

There is a valve in the basement to stop the flow of water to just that outside faucet.
  20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Wrapping a faucet? I don't even know what that is.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I don't think I've seen ice in this city that didn't come from a freezer.