1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do your kids realize how cool you are?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sandman357, Apr 3, 2014.

1. sandman357

sandman357

So I have 2 kids ages 12 and 14. Both are into music. (Pop music, but it is still music:) The other night I am working through the songs on our set list and my 12 year old walks through the room as I am playing Your Mamma Don't Dance and Your Daddy Don't Rock n Roll. My 12 year old looks at me and says "Hey, that song is about you and mom!"

I tell her I am a rock star and am practicing for a show. She says "Call it what you want, I call it four old dudes playing in a bar." Kids, got to love them!

So anyone else have kids that just don't realize how cool you are?

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    My kids are 14 and 17 and, yeah, they can't remember a time when I wasn't uncool.
    The older we get, the less we know, apparently.
    Comes with the territory, I guess. :)

3. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    My 17 year old thinks I'm cool. Playing music is part of it. Working to not be a dick is part of it. And enjoying some of the same interests and macabre sense of humor is part of it - yesterday I sent him an article about 3 books in the Harvard library that are bound in human flesh. Plus I introduced him to HP Lovecraft and the C'thulu mythos, which almost makes me one of the Elder Gods.

With that said, although he thinks I'm cool, he also thinks I'm Old... :D

4. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

My daughter is 13. She grew up in a house with bass guitars and rock n roll paraphernalia everywhere. She is incredibly brutal when critiquing my live performances on tape/DVD.
    I dress cool, got cool bass's,
    cool stage presence, etc....so NO! She doesn't think I'm cool at all. She does tell me though all her friends think I look crazy and are kinda scared of me which is A-OK with me, especially now since teenage boys are coming around house.

7. chuck3

chuck3

My kids are 32, 29 and 23. They actually think it's pretty cool that I do what I do, but they've become inured to it and only occasionally come to gigs now. Our oldest (daughter) does like the kind of music that my main band does (kind of a mix of rock, roots and Americana) so I would say she is into it the most.

I think you guys with teenagers have it more difficult. ;)

8. SteveC

SteveC

My kids are 4 (boy) and daughter 7. They play tinker toy guitars and sing into tinker toy mic stands while I practice. There will come a day though,where I will be very uncool - sooner than later with the girl especially.

9. Wesley R

Wesley R

One day I came home and my wife was cleaning the garage out, my sons and their friends were helping. They had found an old cassette of along gone band I was in. Oldest son looks at me and asks “Why didn’t you day you were in a real band?”

10. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

And then they have children and suddenly you know a lot again.

11. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

My daughter is kind of over it. lol... but her friends never fail to utter "COOL!" or something similar when they're at our place and I'm dorking around.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

My 14 year old daughter still thinks her mother and I are cool. I've been giving her guitar lessons and singing songs with her. She's really into the Beatles. She has a couple of different Beatles songbooks. I've just introduced her to Chicago. She likes the horns too.

Here she is singing with my band a couple of years ago.

http://youtu.be/b2iRuOI1yuk

Five years ago she wrote this song to sing for her music class recital. I accompanied her.

http://youtu.be/iJVrxx69QKQ

Yes, parents tend to get dumber when the kids are between 14 and 18 years old. But then we tend to get much smarter when they're in their 20s and 30s and older. It's a strange phenomenon. ;)

My father was an amazing man. The older I got, the smarter he got. - Mark Twain

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Goatrope likes this.
  13. richntiff

richntiff

my 14 y/o wants to manage my band, and at some point here we are going to do some open mics/etc with her singing and me playing acoustic guitar - can't wait. I still don't think she thinks I'm cool though - LOL!

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I'm so cool I don't care what they think...

paparoof likes this.
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I can play the theme from Ninjago, so my 3 year old son thinks I'm totally cool.

16. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

My daughter has long thought I wasn't cool until she came to see the band play at a festival show we did. Big lights, big sound, about 7-800 people.

I got a little less uncool after that.

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

I'm through being cool.

18. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I have no kids of my own (by choice), but my students all koinw how "cool" I am. I definitely influence their musical tastes as i steer them away from mainstream drivel into the seedy underbelly of underground metal/punk/rock-a-billy etc.

They also know how much of a complete dork I am since i proudly proclaim my nerdy-ness. I have taught them to play Magic: The Gathering, and regail them with stories of seeing Metalliuca with Cliff, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest together, seeing Pearl Jam get booed off of a stage, and Nirvana chased out of a club..

I am the cool old nerd....

19. repoman

repoman

My son uses "my dad is in a band" as an impress the chicks/pick up line. :)

20. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    My 3 and 1/2 ears old kids don't realize how uncool I am... yet!

21. socialleper

socialleper

Nope. My daughter is more interested in her phone and my son is afraid of our fans. I'm not Beiber, Timberlake or Drake so I'm not cool. Plus you can't be a rock star to someone if they've seen you puttering around the house in sweats and bed hair.