1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do your pets have an ear for music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

My dogs appear to like Joan Jett fronted songs. I've seen both of them wag their tails in time with with songs like Cherry Bomb and I Love Rock & Roll on totally different occasions while asleep. (It should be noted that I rarely play this stuff.)

My husky hates loud noises like thunder, but has never been bothered by my amp which I'm rather surprised by. I decide to noodle around plugged in yesterday, so I walk into my bedroom and find my husky on my bed. She's not supposed to be up there, but I let it slide. She's watching me, waiting for me to tell her off but I just noodle. I accidentally play three or four sour notes in a row and the dog jumps up and gives me this look like "Really, this is how you're telling me to git?" I go back to playing properly and the dog lays down again.

Anyone else have stories like this, other than 'my cat loves my bass' case?
  2. bassteban

bassteban

We had a cat that would hang in the room whenever I plucked the double bass. It just dawned on me that she only started doing that very late in life and was likely completely deaf
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Not sure but my cat loves laying on my amp when I play.
  4. ebick

ebick

5. icecycle66

icecycle66

My beagle, who was raised on metal, will run to my room and start howling/baying when I'm playing loud and droney.

He'll run TO my room to start singing. I have a few recordings with him on it.
  6. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Like the OP's dog, my cat Hartley Peavey is afraid of thunder. However, he loves to hang out in the basement during band practice. I named him the day I got him, but did not learn of his love of music until about a month later. He also likes squashing himself up against instruments when they're sitting on the couch. Here's a picture of him hanging out with a T20 I was photographing for an Ebay auction. Orville Gibson is in the background.

Attached Files:

7. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

My lab/collie Charlie used to howl when I would play blues scales on guitar and bend certain notes.

Currently he howls when I do sound checks on my PA

Check 1...2. Awooooooooo...... And so on haha
  8. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

The greyhound (RIP) would howl if we started to sing anything. The current beast, a border collie / cattle dog cross, seems to like bass playing. However, he totally freaks whenever I get out my soprano recorder, much less start to play it. So I quit.

We are trying to teach him to howl. It's not working so well. He tries hard.
  9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

My pug is completely indifferent to music of all sorts. He doesn't care if I play myself either - but when I whip out the sax he gets the hay out of earshot lol. I would too.
  10. spade2you

spade2you

My corgi will only listen to me for a few minutes before he leaves the room. :meh:
  11. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

My dog either leaves the room or puts her head on my arm so I can't play.
  12. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i was in a metal band and when we practiced she would go apeshit and jump around leaping like an antelope! it was funny to watch. german sheppard :hyper:
  13. kbaxter26

kbaxter26 Supporting Member

Not sure, but everytime I start practicing, they both have to go out. "BROWN NOISE" perhaps!
  14. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Back in the old days of vinyl, my friend and I would spend a lot of time at his house listening to albums (on his parents Magnavox console stereo). For some reason, out of the hundreds of songs we listened to, whenever "La Grange" by ZZ Top would play, his dog would have a fit and start howling. I'm not sure why, because no other songs had that effect.
    This makes me think about when my son was young and we watched Sesame Street together. Every once in awhile Little Richard would appear on the show. Whenever he came on, my son would start crying....but I guess I can understand that....
  15. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

I once had a cat who liked Frank Zappa. She'd park in front of the speakers when I played Sheik Yerbouti or Tinseltown Rebellion. Dunno why.
  16. richntiff

richntiff

we have a pug - he doesn't care when I play bass, but when I play my acoustic guitar he looks at me with this bored, indifferent kind of look. Come to think of it, that's pretty much how he looks at me all the time...
  17. ZhuAnRen

ZhuAnRen

Not sure if the cat actually enjoys music, but he certainly loves messing with the metronome when I practice, and oddly enough manages to randomly change time signatures....That cat is a surprisingly good bass teacher.
  18. johnpbass

johnpbass

My parents have a cat that loves to hear my Dad playing piano. She comes into his practice space and lays about 10 feet from him, tail going back and forth. Very cool to see.
    On the other hand, my dog will not let me play bass uninterupted. He gets down low to the ground and barks his head off. He's part Beagle so the bark is annoyingly loud!
    Maybe he's trying to tell me something!:(
  19. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

there was this r and b song about a bad girl that used to get played a lot in LA on the hip hop station, and my pit would get all excited, because she thought they were singing to her
  20. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Highly evolved!