1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nutso42, Jul 30, 2012.

?

Best Doctor?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2012.
  1. (1st) William Hartnell

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. (2nd) Patrick Troughton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. (3rd) Jon Pertwee

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. (4th) Tom Baker

21 vote(s)
    36.8%
  5. (5th) Peter Davison

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. (6th) Colin Baker

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. (7th) Sylvester McCoy

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. (8th) Paul McGann

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. (9th) Christopher Eccleston

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  10. (10th) David Tennant

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  11. (11th) Matt Smith

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  12. (12th) macaroni_tony

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. (13th) Carrot McCarrots

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nutso42

nutso42

With a new series of Doctor Who approaching in a few weeks, I figured I'd see if anyone else on TB watches the show.

Or if you watch the classic 1963-1989 version, even better.

(EDIT: Poll added)
  2. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

I watch it. Though I do have to say that I'm no longer digging Matt Smith as the Doctor. I'm actually missing David Tennant's interpretation.... best Doc since Tom Baker.
  3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

I watch it. But no Karen Gillan? They doomed her character by bringing Rory along...
  4. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Haven't watched since Baker, but seriously thinking about it.
  5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Long time fan right here. Pertwee was my first doc, but like most 40-something's, Tom Baker was my 'main' doc growing up. Kinda grew out of it and lost interest when the next few doctors appeared and by the the time McCoy was in the role, I thought the whole thing was dead in the water....

....years later and the revival with Christopher Ecclestone was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. The writing team produced some truly wonderful scripts and plots, the casting was spot on and the whole thing was credibly sold to a new generation of fans. David Tennent a bit hammy for me and I keep hearing his true accent leak into his monologues! 'Blink' probably one of the best hours television I think I've ever seen. Matt Smith? My 7 year old girl loves him and Amy Pond, but she's a bit too dippy and pouty for me. And Rory is just a waste of a potentially good role. The new batch of monsters showed innovation and imagination - Weeping Angels, anyone? - but you can't beat a bit of Dalek :)
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Watched it religiously during the Tom Baker period. Lost interest after that.
  7. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Best show on TV, IMHO. I liked David Tennant, but I haven't seen many of the earlier versions.
  8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

you've got a doctor, what's his name?

who

the doctor

who

the guy taking your tempurature

who

what is the name of the doctor?

what is the name of the receptionist

i dont know

radiology
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Tom Baker-era here. I really need to stock up on the DVDs - but I understand that a many of the original film of his era was lost or destroyed. My whole family discovered the show in the David Tennant era, who I admit was very good (and they brought back K9 and Sarah Jane!), so my wife says Tennant is "her" doctor.
  10. preside

preside

Almost all of it it on Netflix. I loved Tom B, but the new guys are great
  11. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Christopher Ecclestone was also a fav of mine. "are you my mommy?" :D
    It was his interpretation that got me back into Dr Who - also the writing during those seasons where phenomenal, I agree.
  12. nutso42

nutso42

Most of the classic era stories/episodes that were lost were from the first two Doctors (Hartnell and Troughton), which is a pity because I'm particularly fond of Troughton's era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials
    ^ Lists all the stories, plus which ones have missing episodes.
  13. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

I grew up with Pertwee and T.Baker. We caufght Dr. Who on a daily basis after school on PBS. Once PBS stopped buying the show, I didn't see it till the reincarnation with Eccleston and I've watched continually since.

I liked Tennant the most and, to be honest, would have liked to seen Eccelston continue. His Doctor showed growth. It must have been tough being the guy to "restart" the series.

Matt Smith is "OK", but I don't miss him like Tennant, Eccelston, Baker or Pertwee.
  14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

I remember Ecclestone saying very early on that he only ever planned on doing the one series. Shame, as I think he nailed it. My favourite 'new' doctor by a mile.

Favourite monster still the Cybermen. This iconic shot still gives me goosebumps!

View attachment 280841
  15. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

'Nother Tom Baker fan here.
  16. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Same here. Love Tom Baker , he was my "first" Doctor Who, but i'm enjoying the heck out of this last bunch of docs, especially David Tennant. Matt Smith ain't too bad.
    I'm aslo glad to see the SFX has caught up with the storytelling.
  17. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Matt Smith's face is very alien looking. He is my favorite doctor.
  18. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

Watched since the reboot... Well borrowed DVD's from friends and net flux.

Need to watch the older ones to have a valid opinion on best doctor...

I am partial to Rose (Billie Piper) far as companions ... But that's an entirely different thread
  19. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

I've only watched from Christopher Eccolson(sp?) forward, so when I get to the origional docs I can speak to them. David Tennant is my favorite mix of fun/serious. Chris was too serious(whiny but could have been the writing) and Matt Smith had no gravitas. Still I'd put up with Ben Stiller for Amelia Pond. Just my type. Mmm mm.
  20. murphy

murphy

"Christopher Ecclestone was also a fav of mine. "are you my mommy?"
    It was his interpretation that got me back into Dr Who - also the writing during those seasons where phenomenal, I agree."

Started life watching Pertwee , but what a great comeback this was