1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Documentary: "Unsound" (music industry)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LakeEffect, Nov 6, 2013.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I just want to tip everyone off to this, I have no interest in getting into a huge debate, but if thats where the thread goes... have at it (I know it is somewhat inevitable).

Description: "Unsound reveals the internet revolution's impact on musicians and creators of all kinds trying to survive in the digital age where everything is free."

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unsound

2. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Looks like a really interesting film that goes right along with my feelings regarding the current state of the industry and consumers' attitudes. Thanks for sharing that link.

3. LakeEffect

Sure thing, I'm looking forward to seeing it in its entirety.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

What the trailer didn't address and I hope the finished documentary does are the positive ways people are dealing with the changes in the music industry. Things like Kickstarter type funding for projects, what individuals like Janek Gwizdala and bands like Radiohead are doing with podcasting and self released material, free downloads and paypal buttons on websites where people can donate what they feel your work is worth. These are new model alternatives to the old model that are proving to work surprisingly well in all the arts not just the music biz.

I don't want to trivialize the hurt a lot of people are going through right now but it's not all doom and gloom like that trailer makes it out to be. The technology giveth and the technology taketh away. It seems the technology will continue to give to those who are figuring out how to use it. I'd have a hard time sitting through a feature length version of the lopsided outlook I saw in that trailer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LakeEffect

I wholeheartedly agree, I am curious to see if this aspect is addressed. Many of the bands I listen to have done extremely well by touring and selling soundboard recordings from their show, vinyl, signed merchandise to fund LP's, etc.

Again, that aspect may be dwarfed by the other issues, but I agree they are worth noting. I hope the documentary does it justice, I sure am looking forward to it if for no other reason than possibly generating more discussion on the issue.

7. bass12

I actually think that the perspective focused on in the preview is what people need to hear. The "success" stories that are often cited are really the exceptions today. The main point, for me, is this overriding attitude so many seem to have that music should be free.

When you say many of the bands you listen to have done "extremely well" I have to ask what you mean by that (and which bands you're talking about). I'll bet they're not doing as well touring and selling merch as you think...

8. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Looks interesting, I think I'll give it a watch. :)

On a related note: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/opinion/sunday/slaves-of-the-internet-unite.html?_r=0

Sums up the current situation and the frustrations many people (including me) have with the idea of free content on the internet. I'm caught up in the new generation of (college-age) musicians, and most of us are just starting our careers. This stuff seems to have a bigger impact on me every day.

9. LakeEffect

I don't disagree with any of these points. There are competing paradigms fighting for turf, and I hope that the documentary addresses the advantages and disadvantages of both. I too, think it is very upsetting people now feel "entitled" to art.

Lotus, STS9, Papadosio, The Motet, The Garrett Sayers Trio, to name a few. And... believe me, they are doing well. The first three listed have their own multi-day music festivals, not that thats the only measuring stick, but it is pretty telling. The point is that they tour and sell soundboards, which cannot be leaked, that is where the money comes from. For instance at http://www.livedownloads.com/searchRes.aspx?searchStr=lotus&x=0&y=0 Most of the people I go to shows with will buy the ticket and then inevitably buy the soundboard because the show was so damn good.

Again, I want to reiterate that they are somewhat of an anomaly and that model is not feasible for all bands, I think the current paradigm of the music industry is pretty shameful.

10. bass12

If the bands you've mentioned (I've only heard of two of them) are able to make any kind of decent money from sales of their music then that's great but, as you've pointed out, this is definitely not "the norm". I think what I find the most frustrating is when people will point to a few bands who have been able (in the short term at least) to keep their heads above water and say, "See - the new model is fine! What is everyone complaining about?". Ironically enough these people are rarely the ones who have tried to make a living as a musician. Of course, it's not just about music sales - there's been a huge decline in the number of bar/club gigs over the past twenty years and I think that's a reflection of the general attitude towards music in general and live music in particular. Anyway, big topic with lots of perspectives and interesting stories. Looking forward to the film (if it ever gets finished! ;)).

11. LakeEffect

As I stated "they are an anomaly, and that model is not feasible for all bands, I think the current paradigm of the music industry is pretty shameful". I couldn't agree with what you've said more.

I appreciate how the trailer at least seems like it will be addressed as an IP and art issue in general. I think that is important, because a broader debate on all intangible property in general will resonate better with the masses (who are more 'passive' listeners, than active musicians who truly understand how damn hard it is). By framing the issue larger you bring in more people who are concerned with different forms of IP, literature, computer programs, research, etc. Though, music is no doubt the poster child for the issue and should be at the forefront.

12. bass12

I opted for the $75 contribution. Bump for a film I'd like to see completed!

13. LakeEffect

Hey everyone, just bumping this before the window to donate expires. Have a look if you get some time to spare.

14. bass12

Bump. Looking forward to seeing this.