DOD Bass Grunge

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Does anyone know what pedal this is basically a copy of? A Rat, a Tubescreamer, or a Muff?

I had the guitar version as a teenager, but back then good tone = loud. It's been years since I've heard the guitar OR bass grunge pedal. I haven't found much helpful info regarding this question in other threads. Just curious.
  2. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

Bumping an old thread because i'm curious to know what the answer is too. I think it sounds like a rat.
  3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Are we talking the old FX92 or the new FX69B?

I have an FX92 and I can't say what it's based off of -- I haven't had a muff in a minute and only owned a rat briefly. I like it waaay better than either actually, and found it to be super versatile.
  4. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

I'm talking old FX92. It's definitely not a muff clone. Doesn't do fuzz. It's a really dirty OD/distortion for sure. Has a cool boost to it too. I was thinking about cloning a rat but the FX92 is satisfying my needs right now. I even run it with a great destroyer when I want the feed back and it's really cool.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I keep passing on this pedal
  7. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

It's fairly cheap and sounds good. It's not a tame OD though. It's not nice and tidy like botique dirts can be. But this was DOD's aim for that period hence the meatbox and buzzbox that came out during that same time. For instance, last night I could of swore that while its engaged it picks up the creaking of my strap. I run my cable under the strap before it goes into the jack. It's almost like its not properly grounded. It feeds back very easily too which I love and its not a high pitch cheap sound. Best term I can come up with to describe the sound is that it's booming.
  8. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

I know, old thread.... This is the only demo I could find on it. I dig the sound. It's kind of gnarly. I've looked on ebay and craigslist but couldn't find any. Any users out there? Is it noisy? Should a gate be used? Similar pedals? Thanks.
  9. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

That bass sounds like it had a late night at a bad Mexican restaurant.
  10. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

HA!!!! I'm not too keen on the bass itself but more the pedal.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hahahahahaaa
  12. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Oh man, you're gonna hate me. I actually liked his clean tone!

But I wasn't saying the distortion was "bad" - that's subjective. All I was thinking is every time he slid down the fretboard it made me laugh.
  13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

To me it sounds like a modified Fuzz Face with some clean blend in there. Just a guess though...
  14. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Right on... to each his own. I'd like to find one. It just sounds NASTY, in a good way.
  15. omie

omie

I thought these pedals were created after the 'grunge' era hit in the 90's. I have a hazy memory of a MTV peice with Kurt Cobain and Sonic Youth making fun of one on train tracks and then smashing it. Although I think it was a regular grunge. Is this the same pedal?

Also reminds me that I played with a guitarist I met on CL once... A grunge was his only pedal, worst sounding guitar tone that I've ever heard. Ughh, even the memory sucks...
  16. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

This is the bass version. Regardless of the name, I dig the sound.
  17. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

I scored one off a forum in a trade. One went in eBay some months ago for $105.

They....totally rule. I should make some clips.
  18. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Definitely! I would love to hear more so that my GAS pains grow. :bassist:
  19. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

20. olliedf89

olliedf89

Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I just got me one of these beauties... The sound is amazing, sounds how i want a fuzz to be but with a tone blend so it just crunches the original bass tone in there too.

I do have a bit of an issue with it so far, though. It arrived today (along with a DOD Bass EQ) but while it sounds amazing, it is SO quiet. The EQ is on par with my other effects, but this one is just inaudible compared to my other effects. I've had to whack the EQ volume up and put it after it so I can use it as a volume boost at the same time. That only just about cracks it.
    Is it a common thing with this pedal or do I have a sick DOD?
  21. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

Try cleaning your volume pot with some contact cleaner, or if you don't have that, WD-40. OTherwise you could have a bad component.