1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dod fx25

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hey everybody, I had a question about dod's envelope filters. I have a fx25 filter and my friend also has an fx25 filter. About a year ago I had an fx25B filter which had a third knob and was clearly a whole different model. However both mine and my friends are just called the fx25 yet they have a completely different build. Both just have 2 knobs; sensitivity and range. They are a different color green and have different style knobs etc. What is the deal here. Did dod just release another version of the same pedal and one is newer and one is older? What exactly is the difference here? Mine is on the right and my friends is on the left. I snagged the pics from ebay sales so I didnt have to take pics of both of our pedals. Thanks everybody.

Attached Files:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They made several versions, with slightly different green color, foot-button style, knob style, and labeling. At least three shades of green, two knob types, two foot-button types, and half a dozen different variations on the silkscreened markings.

Internally, the basic circuit is almost identical, but with variations in specific component values, and very small adaptations to the circuit to accomodate those value changes.

They were produced across a period of several years, and the changes happened piecemeal, a little at a time, over time.

They all sound extremely similar.
  3. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

They changed the enclosure style. The one on the right appears to be from the 80's, the one on the left is probably from the 90s-00s.
  4. Musicman1901

Thanks for the info guys! Any idea what they go for used? I'm thinking about selling mine. There is one on ebay for 180 but that seems kind of high. (the one on the right)
  5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

There are those who swear by the older, "Kermit Green" ones like the one in the picture on the right in your post. I had one; I wasn't impressed. Apparently, it's a filter you have to play juuuuust right and/or add a compressor and/or add a blender, because it's band pass and it can be quite unruly. Some folks really know how to make it work, though.
  6. Musicman1901

Yeah it gets amazing tone but its finicky. You move one of the knobs a tiny bit and is changes the whole sound. Not to mention the dynamics of your playing really affect how it sounds. It is a great pedal but i agree that you have to play it just right.
  7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I got one a few months ago on CL for $60. My research showed that to be an average price. Mine is like the one on the left.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

You will find many here (myself included) that have bought, sold, re-bought and re-sold this pedal.
    For me, very difficult to control the low end boost in a live situation.
    Worth $40-50 IMO.
  9. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Exactly my experience with it, as a filter. But you can turn the sensitivity all the way down and mess with range to get some massive low-pass dub tones out of it, that's what I'm using mine for. I got mine (like the one on the left) used for $25.
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I have one from the nineties probably worth around $50.00
  11. Musicman1901

Any idea about the one on the right? Everybody has commented on the one on the left and I don't have that one lol. Is the one on the right about the same or do they generally go for more because they're older?
  12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

On eBay, around $75 and up. They allegedly sound better, although I've never A/B'ed them myself.
  13. dumelow

dumelow

Ive got the exact same on in the photo on the right. fantastic pedal. Dont know an awful lot about it though picked it up off ebay real cheap after wanting one for years. Sounds fantastic but I often find myself using it as a low pass filter with the sensitivity all the way down. Could do with two of em really.
  14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I commented on both and said they sound quite similar. The older ones do tend to go for a bit more money, but not for any really good reason.

BTW, I own six different versions of this pedal. :)
  15. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

The LP static filter use worked very well at my gig last night, although there is a noticeable but not completely deadly volume drop. I have a clean boost, the exotic ep booster, and that handled the volume loss and sounded wonderful doing it. Nice to go from a real dub sound to a flat EQ with just a click of a footswitch.