Dodged Ebay Bullet - Notorious Chargeback Scammer ACI Express - ebay user kglpass12

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Colonel Monk, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Supporting Member

Greasy Grass River, formerly Santa Cruz, CA
    Howdy:

I sold an 86 Proco Rat on Ebay. Buyer didn't pay straight away, which has become so commonplace on eBay that I no longer have been putting my "immediate payment required" note in my items.

2 days in, I send an invoice tell them to pay NOW. 5 days in, I tell them they have until the end of 5th day to pay or I'm relisting.

So, they pay up. I get a response in my messages:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

we are sending you this email as reminder for shippping information.
    we kindly ask you to refer to the our registered MAILING ADDRESS in PAYPAL for SHIPPING.
    It should be included 5-6 digit REFERENCE number (KGL#) on the receipt shortly after payment has been made.
    your cooperation will help me a lot to find the item easily and quickly at our warehouse.

the mailing address looks like the EXAMPLE below:
    ACI Express, Inc.
    14452 S.AVALON BLVD.
    KGL#
    Gardena, CA 90248-2006
    United States
    Please do not get confused with Ebay registered one that does not have our reference number.

Also, it is reminded to inform us of the tracking number, upon dispatching with carriers such as USPS, UPS, Fedex, or DHL.
    If the item is shipped without tracking number, please let us know by simply sending us an email.

Sincerely yours,

Intercommerce America, Inc.
    Warehouse: ACI Express, Inc.
    Company name : Intercommerce America, Inc.
    Contact number: (562) 304 2593"

Well, this seems odd, and I have to say, I was pissed to think that this old RAT is going to some ENTITY with a warehouse and over 8500 purchases on eBay..... I mean, who the hell has a 100% rating on eBay buying 8500 items, and never sells even ONE?!

This morning, I googled the company name from Paypal, and turns out, they are ChargeBack Scammers! Dozens of reports of people getting screwed.

What they do, is they buy your item, then claim that it doesn't work, etc. and without giving you a chance, they initiate a dispute for chargeback with Paypal, who generally sides with the buyer....

So you lose your RAT, and your money!!

What does the buyer do? Well, I had not noticed, but you can no longer give a buyer Negative Feedback.

So these guys have a 100% rating!!! Since they bought my item on monday, they have purchased 100s more. I remember seeing like 8564 and a 100% rating, as of today it's over 9000 buys....

So, if you have given the buyer positive feedback for paying quickly there's nothing you can do.

I refunded their money 100% and told them to eff off, and then I went to the feedback section and reported them to eBay and told them the story. Of course, you are not allowed to leave them Negative Feedback.

I hope that they are unable to give me a ding on my 100% rating.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you all. It always pays to look at the feedback of buyers and sellers. If you see someone with many many buys and no sells, BEWARE.

CM :bassist:
  2. SaxBass

SaxBass Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. Good information and something to be aware of- I'd never heard of this scam. Will be alert from now on!
  3. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

nice alert. Everyone should be aware of this scam.
  4. savagek

savagek

I just a had a similar purchase but from a kglpass9, it looks like they have multiple ebay ids. I think I'm gonna go ahead and refund them and cancel the transaction aswell. Did they end up giving you negative feedback for doing so?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Report the incident to eBay. If the user has a fraudulent account eBay will close the account and they will be unable to leave any feedback.
  7. Colonel Monk

Hey everyone:

sorry for the no reply.

I did report the buyer, but I never heard a single thing from ebay about it. Since money was refunded, I have not seen any negative feedback because I think they can't leave any till the transaction is complete.

Furthermore, I offered the RAT to the next guy in line, with a second chance offer. He paid right away. While I was looking at his information, I realized that the name on the PayPal account was "purchasing agent" - that was very strange indeed.

I messaged him via ebay and asked him why was he buying my pedal? Are you a company? How come, when I google your email address it takes me to a chinese website with all chinese characters?

I got no reply, so I refunded his money as well. His ebay account had only been created days earlier, and had purchased 6 items and sold NONE, so I just didn't trust him.

I had to call ebay to refund the sales fees, but they didn't want to talk about the case at all....

I wish I knew what they are keying off in that description that led them to buy my item. Are they shipping the stuff to consumers in China? Are they looking for vintage gear so that they can win the chargeback with Pay Pal claiming it doesn't work?

How the hell, with a tracking number and signature required can they refund the money without requiring the buyer to send the item back to you? Basically, they get the item for free, resell it, and get their money back.

So I'm very very wary of ebay at the moment. I'm thinking that money order is the only way to go, but I myself won't buy something on ebay if I have to get money order - not if it is a common item anyways.... I suppose for a vintage bass or something I'd be willing.

Be carefull out there.

Monk
  8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Signature required and tracking # only protects you if it is shipped to the US PayPal confirmed address.
    Even if you do ship to a US PayPal confirmed address, they can do a credit card chargeback and the credit card company can care less about tracking #'s and signatures.
  9. Colonel Monk

Yep. In a few minutes of googling, I found that not only was the guy a chargeback scammer but that PayPal always sides with the buyer.

I won't sell to any "businesses" from here out, unless they want to pay via USPS money order.

Also won't ship to any unconfirmed PP addresses...

Hate how a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

CM
  10. funlunde

funlunde

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am a bit of a new ebay seller, and i had almost the same thing happened to me, but it seemed a bit strange so i did a quick google search and found this.

Thank you so much, i was about to get ready to ship the item, but just to be safe i did a quick search, and i am glad i did.

Thank you for posting this and informing smaller sellers like me.
  11. Colonel Monk

You are welcome. I had a heck of a time selling that RAT - I had three winners on ebay, all on the west coast, all with a story like KGLPASS, but without the notoriety.

I finally got it sold to someone here in the US - I think.

You all should know as well, that ebay is monitoring the verbage in your ads. After this problem, I started to try and dissuade these guys from bidding on my items, and Ebay recognized the verbage and said something like:

"It appears that you are trying to exclude bidders from bidding on your item. You may not do this, it is against policy, blah blah blah"

And then that listing I was trying to create was locked out. Even after I removed the "offending" verbage, it still would not accept the listing and forced me to recreate it.

Not to get down on those from foreign countries, but having lived in the SF Bay Area for many years, (I know right where ebay is located, used to drive by it everyday) I'll bet you that those in charge of this part of the ebay code are from foreign countries.

I'm NOT a bigot, I don't believe in ANY of that ****, and I have many friends from SE Asia, and friends of color and so forth, but deciding who I can sell my stuff to, when it could be a scam and ebay is not protecting us Sellers, should be an inalienable right!! If the person buying my gear can't speak my language so that I can feel safe about the sale, and that I'm not going to get PayPal scammed, then I'm going to cancel the sale. And if the buyers don't like it, oh well. As soon as we make their business no longer a business, we can get back to being safe.

Since they aren't making it easy, I'm just double-checking everything I sell, and if it doesn't look good, I cancel the sale. If the person can write me back and I get a good feeling, I let it proceed.
  12. Colonel Monk

Furthermore, this was the first time this happened, but I had another issue when I was trying to sell my Ovation Magnum. The same guy, did a Buy It NOW on the ovation. Chinese name, shipping address was an industrial building in Portland, OR, and didn't match the verified PP address. His email address gave away what he was doing - I searched the email address, and it was some kind of shopping/shipping service for western goods, based out of Korea. So, they are buying goods, shipping to Asia, then reselling them at a profit.

Problem is, if there is something "wrong" with your vintage item you just sold, they can do a chargeback and receive a refund from Pay Pal, and not even be required to send the item back!!!

I kept emailing the guy (I really DID need the money at the time) and told him, that I needed him to respond thru the email system of ebay, stating that he understood that the electronics on the Ovation Magnum were AS IS, had not been hooked up since I owned it, and that I did not know if they functioned or not. The pups are wired right to the jack, so it makes sound.

I just wanted assurance that after they sent my bass to Korea or wherever, that they would not go for the chargeback. The guy would not contact me!! All I got from him is "where is bass, where is bass"

So I cancelled the transaction. Relisted, and HE BOUGHT IT AGAIN!!!! After I cancelled, then he writes "are you going to sell it to me again and cancel?"

I was so effing annoyed, unbelievable.

Similar story to my Guild B302 - I had it sold, to who seemed like a nice chinese guy, who couldn't really understand my emails, that the bass worked fine, but was vintage and who knows if it's going to survive a trip in a shipping container to china and still be in working order? Having worked in China on multiple trips, for a grand total of 8 weeks, and trying to get parts into the country to service our sysstem, I just couldn't trust that I'd ever get the bass back. It was simply too much risk.

He said "thank tell me bass not worky I will take cancel" or something like that. I explained, till I was blue in the face, that it worked perfectly, but that I wanted his assurance that he would not attempt a chargeback and he simply could not understand me.

Thank the lord that I finally sold it to a nice guy here on TB in California, where this bass really belonged anyway.

Ebay is just not the place it was in 1995 when I began using it.
  13. marko138

marko138

Wow, I haven't heard of this scam yet. Ebay is really making their website a tough place to do business. I used to buy a ton of stuff there. Deals aren't there like they used to be. I've only sold a few items there but every time it's a pain in the butt.
  14. Colonel Monk

What's funny, is that they think they are doing everyone a big favor. And, I suppose in some ways they still are - pain that it is, I could not have sold those items for half their worth in the rural area I now live in. So it allows us to get a relative "worth"....

My problem, is that it must be that a lot of buyers were screwed by the sellers. Because they now do a great job of protecting buyers! Which is nice, I buy more than I sell, and I've been screwed as a buyer.

But, they are rolling on the idea that where there's buyers, will always be sellers. So as a seller you are on your own.

I have read where people have said that the "verified address" thing really isn't the big deal it's made out to be in cyberspace, and most things I sell I don't worry about. But a 40 year old guitar? Anything could happen, and when you cross language barriers with selling things, if they can't read what the condition is, and any disclaimer you might have, it opens the door for them to take advantage, claim that the condition is different than described, get a refund from you, after you've already spent the money, and then you don't get your bass back either? Eff that!!
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

after getting a bunch of sub par jazz bass components and paying for "express shipping" and not getting my items any sooner i don't ebay buy too much anymore, sorry to hear about the seller problems