1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does a compressor pedal need to be for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Looking at the boss cs-3...will I lose any low end I usually only get pedals designed for bass.
  2. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

The simple answer is it really doesn't matter. find one you like. I use the Empress Compressor on my bass....works great, and it isn't bass specific.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

+1

sooooo many better choices than a Boss
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No, you won't lose low end and it has a tone knob too. Its a "one trick pony" type compressor/sustainer, but it does what its made to do well. They sell for about $40-$60 used.
  6. mmbongo

Well...actually...from bongo's review of the Boss:

There is some noticeable loss of lows at the minimum end of the Sustain knob range. As you turn up the Sustain, the whole signal is boosted, raising the lows as well, while leveling everything out at the threshold. The low frequency range is strongest at around 10:30, and by this point all dynamics are pretty well crushed. This hard leveling also limits the big wave peaks that give bass its feeling of depth and heft, so even at the point where it is not losing lows, they will sound weak.

I call that 'avoid at all costs'.
  7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I heard the CS-3 is good for making everything evenly squashed volume wise. Supposedly its usable if you keep the attack really low.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well yeah - it squishes the $#!^ out of the signal. When I use my CS-3, I set everything to about 12-1 o'clock. IMHO the BOSS CS-3 does exactly what it was made to do - unfortunately its pretty much a "one trick pony" but if you like the effect - it does it well.
  9. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

What do you guys recommend?
  10. mmbongo

EBS Multicomp is my choice because I like to be able to have different compression levels for lows and highs.
  11. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I use a DOD Milkbox FX84 which I don't believe is made exclusively for bass. It sounds good and adds some fatness and sustain. And it's not expensive. I bought mine off Ebay for about $50. I bought it mainly based on the review:

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/milkbox.shtml
  12. basmicke

basmicke

Diamond bass compressor is the best I've had so far. It doesn't really affect your tone and the compression is very musical and natural. It's not for hard, squeezed more limiter sounds though with its fixed threshold.
  13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, IMO both the Diamond and MXR compressors sound nice. I've been using a tiny Xotic SP mostly lately - because I have nano GAS.

EDIT: PS, you really should take some time to look at this http://www.ovnilab.com/ its very helpful and full of insight.

Cheers and best wishes with your compressor hunt.