Does a Lakland 55-01 really sound this good??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swipter, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Swipter

Swipter

2. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Don't worry, I just picked mine up and mine doesn't sound like that. Must be photo shopped, or pleked, or something like that. Seriously, I believed Mr.Wrobel could make a Rogue or a Silvertone bass sound good. Enjoyed the videos, thanks!
  3. Nightvision

Nightvision

Don't forget EBS amp...
  4. pedulla-2007

You sure know your amps! The video is kinda fuzzy from my computer. By the way, who is that guy?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Love my 5501. Easily one of the best sounding basses I've ever encountered...and this is coming from a guy who also currently owns two USA Spectors.

Of course, I put USA Barts and an Audere preamp in mine. Stock..it's kinda 'meh'. It's made to be upgraded.
    [​IMG]
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I can't get any of those links to play. Stock 55-01 can play and sound very good. Folk modify them due to the sound they want to hear. I trashed the pickups and preamp and installed a US Bartolini 5.2A/P preamp and Nordstrand Big Splits pickups! It is now a Jazz bass on steroids!
  8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that is a GREAT modern tone. That actually makes me want to try one of these to see if it sounds that way when I play it.

DWBass, try this link:
  9. bubinga5

bubinga5

we have no idea whats going on in his signal chain... stock laklands dont sound that good im afraid... i had a deluxe cherry burst with a glock preamp and nordstrands and it sounded great...
  10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I don't have an -01, but I do have basses with those pickups and electronics. I definitely hear the microbass "crispiness" in there. The bass could easily be stock. String and fingers make a lot of difference to tone.
  11. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

+1 on the fingers making tone. It's the most important variable out there. This had become most evident to me one night back in 1999. I was giging with a blues band at an establisment know by all the great local musicians. When the trail boss asked me "do you mind if my buddy dave sits in on bass for a few tunes?" I tell ya what I never heard my bass sound so good before. Fingers man!! It's all in your fingers!!
  12. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

+1 on the fingers making tone. It's the most important variable out there. This most evident to me one night back in 1999. I was giging with a blues band at an establisment know by all the great local musicians. When the trail boss asked me "do you mind if my buddy dave sits in on bass for a few tunes?" I tell ya what I never heard my bass sound so good before. Fingers man!! It's all in your fingers!!
  13. pedulla-2007

That ain't no EBS amp, it's an ASHDOWN 300 Mag! After watching TB member "smeet's" better video, it looks like he is sitting in front an Ashdown rig, with an EBS box going into that rig!
  14. Swipter

Swipter

Sorry about that. Probably because I used my iPad. Smeet's should work.
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I owned a 55-02 Deluxe for several months. It was a beautiful bass and it played and sounded fantastic, BUT it had trouble with getting lost in a mix. No amount of EQ'ing seemed to fix that issue, so I wound up selling it.
  16. Swipter

Swipter

So I have a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 string. If a Lakland was upgraded like yours would it sound a lot like the Pedulla since they both have Bart pick ups?

What is the extra cost to modify a Lakland like yours?
  17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

My 55-02 D sounded a lot like that when I first got it. Thankfully, adjusting the truss rod to provide a bit more relief, and ditching the rounds it came strung with for TI flats got rid of the sound of bees buzzing. ;)

I was having a little trouble getting lost in the mix on stage until I set the dip-switches that control the mid-range for ~200Hz and cut some of the low-mid rumble; then it cut through just fine.
  18. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

I had that happen to me. Its one of the most dejecting bass experiences I have had :rollno:

I prefer the sound of his Michal Wrobel's Mayones Jabba Custom :)
  19. mmbongo

I can't really say, as I've never played a Pedulla. They are some high quality basses though, and they are handmade in the USA. 5501's are awesome, but maybe not THAT awesome :)

If you buy the pickups and preamp I have new, the pickups are $200, and the preamp is around $175.

But luckily I got both used..$100 for the pickups and $120 for the preamp :)
  20. Swipter

Swipter

Thanks for the info.
  21. mmbongo

Did yours have the Lakland or Bart pickups?