does ampeg care for customers? do they read our comments?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by solitario, Jan 25, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

I have seen soome new products today in ampeg website. a 800W portaflex head and a B15n with exacly same W as the b15... I know what bassist want from ampeg, it has been posted many many times averywere, If I know it how is it possible that ampeg product manager dosent? I think they do know what we want or need but they dont care about us.

people want a sealed 410 4ohm cab to use it with VR and Classics, people want a 4 ohm portaflex cab to run pf heads at full power without need to carry 2 cabs, people wanted a 100w valve head or a 100w valve portaflex like b15r... have you ever read something similar to what I'm saying? Im sure you have.

but... nothing happends! I have tou use my beautifull vr with a gallien krueger cab because ampeg wants me to carry the fridge to small clubs or buy a 410hlf wich sound horrible with valve heads and its hard to carry because its a tilt desing instead of 4 wheels and 1 handle in the back like the fridge but you have to be a dwarf or brake your lower back to carry it because it only has 2 wheels.

well... I love ampeg tone, I have always used ampeg, I will allways use ampeg but c'mon show some respect for customers, listen to us, not everything we say but how about just a little bit?

I hope they will show some new products in the next 2 days but if they dont is a waste of time to be in namm with just a non sense pf800 and a cheaper b15 wich I guess is not going to be cheap either and only has 30W so it dosent have the quality of the expensive one for the studio and it dosent have the guts and power for live situations.

sorry If there are some spelling or grammar mistakes, my english is not very good. this is just my opinion so please dont hit me too hard. :bassist:

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

They are on the verge of re releasing a v4, so there's your 100 watt head. I think people have been clamoring for a b15, so they came out with an American one, and when that seemed to be too expensive it looks like thy are going to release an overseas one. I'd say they are listening.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

A 100 watt valve combo, while nice, is going to have a pretty small target market.

A 100 watt tube head would be a nice addition.

Historically the 10 inch speakers they use in sealed cabs are 32 ohm, which is why the classic sealed 410s were 8 ohm. I dare say they probably don't see the extra market for having another 410 in the lineup.

People aren't going to get much of a noticable increase in volume from running their PF at 4 ohms instead of 8.

4. mcm

mcm

They are just like every other corporate large company.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

+1

And keep in mind, just because a few people post on an internet forum saying they want something doesn't mean there is a demand (or is even realistic, doesn't so much apply here, but you get my point) to produce and distribute thousands of pieces of product. ;)

That, and if it doesn't sell well enough to warrant production, they stop it, regardless of how praised it might be here. Mesa 400+ etc comes to mind.

7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

When you say "people want", who,, besides yourself, do you think you're speaking for?

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It would be nice if they had a custom shop for their cabs or custom valve preamps?

9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

You know, a sealed neo 4-10 that is wide enough to sit under wide tube heads would be nice. Kind of a lightweight 1/2(8-10) cab. (Sorry. I'm currently in college Algebra so everything is equations with me right now.) But even though I would dig it, I understand the world doesn't revolve around me. I'm not sure there are enough people like me who really don't mind lugging a 100lb head but would love a light, wide cab option to go under it. I just don't see the demand for 5,000 of them. And with numbers that small, they would take in the rear if they released it. (They would not make money.)

And the thing I don't think most people here think about is profit. Without it (and a LOT of it), the companies who make the products we love couldn't stick around and KEEP making the products we love.

10. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

In response to adding a 4 ohm cab to the portaflex line, the difference between an 8 ohm cabinet and a 4 ohm cabinet is so little. Changing the 410HE to a 4 ohm cabinet would not make it any louder, especially with a PF-500. Adding another 410HE to make the load 4 ohms would make the PF-500 seem 3db louder, but changing the 410 to 4 ohms will sound .5db louder, which is not noticeable.

This is a big reason why the SVT wasn't designed for a single 8 ohm cabinet load. It was designed to be run into that 810 or a few of them because cone area almost always increases volume; where power does not.

There are other companies selling gear you would like as well. Don't get hooked on a brand name because they have been around forever. Ampeg today is nothing like the Ampeg when it started. Its Loud Tech now. So to answer the thread title questions; Money>Customer. Yes. I like the company? Not sure. I like the Ampeg name, but their new gear seems to be nothing like the old stuff so it doesn't interest me. The legacy stuff is where its at with Ampeg right now.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    ^^^ this

There are small companies out there that do listen and respond to customers and make gear that is great. If you want the sound, there are many ways to get it. If you want the Ampeg logo, there is only one way to get it.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think more than 5,000 people would dig that I think it's a great idea to me Ampeg is like Fender resting on the laurels of years past they release some nice new products but nothing compares to the Classic SVT it's what most people talk about it's a right of passage to lug that huge amp and the fridge to go along with it but GK,Markbass and Genz Benz are really hurting Ampeg the future is the micro.

13. willsellout

willsellout

I'd like a $4.00 SVT. THEY AREN'T LISTENING!!!!

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

This.

Internet comments dont mean a thing...Ampeg could pick your post on a forum, and say..."we need to do exactly what this anonymous internet guy says..." Spend tens of thousands in R&D/manufacturing, etc, putting it together...but it ends up being more expensive than you would like to spend, then what? Even if a good portion of TB members bought one it wouldnt justify building it.

15. sobie18

sobie18

Well, there's a lot that goes into the Research & Development not to include acquisition and sustainment of an item (think cradle to grave). While it would be nice to get what we want, if the market won't support it and it's not cost-efficient, feasible, or whatever, then it will probbaly NOT be available. get a fearful

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought it would be imported too from what they told me, but the new B-15 isn't overseas...it's a less deluxe Heritage model.

As for this business about Ampeg resting on its laurels, BWAHAHAHA! They've not only been the micro market leader since the PF's first came out, but at a crazy low price nobody else was matching till they came along. Call me crazy but that doesn't sound like resting on their laurels to me. Of course they're not going to match or beat the tube SVT's...nothing does!

Would be nice if they did a 4 ohm 410he, though. But then again, I wouldn't buy it. I'd rather use two 210av's or an 810e.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I think Markbass was that for the longest time, and Aguilar has done a great job pushing it even further. Ampeg ain't bad, but they certainly aren't the leader with a micro head that weighs over 8lbs.

18. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

I wish ampeg would make a sealed 610 cab.

19. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

On the other hand this many thousands of bass geeks worldwide talking bass 24/7 is an invaluable resource you'd better believe manufacturers are paying close attention to. I'm certain the various discussions of tube amps here at TB have had some influence on the current spate of new tube amps coming out. Maybe not a big one but it all adds up. Don't think for a moment what you say here isn't being noted.

Now if they'd just label the padded input with what the level of -dB it is instead of insulting our intelligence with "active".....

20. KJung

KJung

My inside sources basically told me that Ampeg just makes what JimmyM tells them to make.

:p

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The PF500 was the top selling solid state bass amp in 2011 and had over 10% of the market. I don't think it did quite that well in 2012 since it wasn't new anymore, but it's still a big seller and one of the very few micros you can find almost anywhere. Now we might have different definitions on what the market leader is, but sales, to me, are a pretty giant indicator.