Does anybody sell 'slide rails' for big cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by K2000, Jul 13, 2006.

1. K2000

K2000

I have an Ampeg 8x10 that lacks those hard plastic (?) strips on the back (I'm almost sure they are called 'slide rails'. Correct me if I'm wrong).

It just so happens that having rails would be super-helpful to get this cab in and out of my practice space (steep concrete steps).

I checked with Fliptops and they don't have 'em. I don't even object if they're not 'ampeg' slides, and I don't mind fabricating a comparable replacement if I can actually make one... more concerned with function, if I can't find Ampeg slides.
  2. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

If you could find an outlet for extruded UHMW plastic and get some lengths of that, it would be ideal. A person on one of the bass forums (I forgot) had a connection for the stuff and offered it up to the members.
    The stuff is incredibly tough and unbelievably slippery. I use it on my boat trailer instead of rollers and it's far better-I can shove the boat on the trailer with one hand and move it (off the trailer if I'm not careful). It's also used in my 9000 lb automotive lift instead of bearings and works flawlessly.

Kim
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Industrial supply places that sell casters and hand trucks usually have the slippery stuff, in lengths and in smaller discs and squares. Also, if you want a quick damage-control option, you can get plastic skateboard "grind rails" at sporting goods stores.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    +1 on the UHMW polyethylene. Most larger towns also have a plastic supplier that sells stock material, and a good shop often has an extensive pile of scraps for sale cheap. 1/4 inch polycarbonate sheet would be a reasonable alternative, also nylon and delrin, but UHMW is tops. I have used it in industrial equipment for sliding extremely heavy objects in and out of machines all day long.

www.mcmaster.com

part number 8702K65

Many other sizes and types available.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. K2000

K2000

Okay... I'd need to drill some holes, with room to countersink some wood screws. I doubt if I can drill through that UHMW stuff with my 'pro-sumer' drill, so I'll need to find a drill press somewhere that I can use... Maybe one of these suppliers can do that for me, for a small fee (?)

I'd still be interested to hear if a cab manufacturer or parts supplier already has this exact item ready to go. I looked at another Bass website (as someone suggested) and searched on Rails and came up empty. Maybe it was the wrong website.

Thanks for the great info!
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

You can drill it fine.

But holding it on with wood screws into chipboard cabinet may be a problem. You might want to use at least a couple of through nuts and bolts.
  8. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

9. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I hope the OP found a solution in the last 6 years
  10. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
  11. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Agreed.
    But his rails aren't that long. High density polyethylene is available from suppliers like McMaster Carr in 4' lengths and make excellent slides.
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

13. dieselbass

dieselbass

Grainger, MSC, Motion Industries, tons of this stuff laying around at my job. I wonder how a cab made out of this would turn out.....

oh yeah, 6 yr old post, I forgot
  14. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

They ain't all that helpful anyway.
  16. sanderic

sanderic

I used outdoor decking rails from Home Depot. They already have the angles cut on each end. I painted mine black, then screwed and glued them to the back of my 215 cab. The glue is too help prevent the rails from vibrating.
  17. rodl2005

rodl2005

Old thread, I know, but still helpful.
    I used recycled plastic garden stakes from a hardware store, $3 ea. Really strong, easy to work, available in many lengths & thicknesses.
    I just shaped the ends to fit
  18. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music! Supporting Member

I was looking for some kind of rails for my 2x15 cab and ended up using snowmobile "hyfax". They are hard plastic runners/wear bars that go between the track and rear suspension. They come in lengths up to appox 4 feet at about $20 a piece. So far they work great!
  19. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I don't know about that, bro - I use mine on a regular basis for tilt and slide in and out of the truck, and on/off stages... I have no doubt that my cabs would be in worse shape without the glide rails...

- georgestrings
  20. carl h.

carl h.

21. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

georgestrings's reference to the skateboard rail guards, IMO are the way to go. You can order them in almost any color that You'd want, and they are pre drilled and ready to mount. Some, even come with the mounting screws.