1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does anyone else play Gospel/ Praise and Worship?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkee1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

I hope this is the right place for this thread!

I play in a pretty formidable Gospel/ Praise band every Sunday. We cover everything from contemporary Gospel, like Israel and The New Breed, to Tye Tribbett, and of course, Fred Hammond, plus we do a few Hillsong, Crowder Band, Chris Mullins type songs.

Our 11:00 service streams live at www.destiny4me.com/live (I don't want to offend anyone- Our Pastor is a colleague of TD Jakes, so that's the kind of preaching you'll get, but I am not trying to convert anyone! I just want you to check out our band!!! If you get ministered to in the process.......great!)

The house amp is an SWR Workingmans 2004 with matching 4x10 cab. I hate it!! It seems to change tone everyweek, no matter whether the knobs have been moved or not!

Anyway, enough about me........do any of the rest of you do a church gig? What kind? Do you stream live? What do you use?
  2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - maker of XBass cables
  3. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    Yep. There are many of us on the link above. I personally use an Eden 8*10 with a WT 800. No live streams coming from our small church.
  4. Funkee1

Funkee1

5. mellowinman

mellowinman

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Not live stream, but recorded then broadcasted on local TV.

I just go DI at church and have the monitor in front of set to my and whoever is next to me's liking (man that was a rough sentence to type!).

I've been playing guitar 95% of the time the last couple years. The other bassist in the group is pretty decent and a guitarist quit forever ago, so I took his rhythm guitar spot and let the other bassist move from fill-in duties to full time.
  7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Not anymore, just changed churches, but I did for years and my wife was a worship paster for almost six years. Enjoying the break right now, even though we left a super tight band.

lowsound
  8. Vcell

Vcell

I play at Calvary Austin. I plug into a Tech21 BDDI then to FOH. No amps. I play to any one of three worship leads, depending on who's scheduled, so styles vary a bit. But mostly contemporary p&w like you'd expect at a Calvary Chapel.

I love when I get to back up the guests because then I get to play jazz or contemporary gospel.
  9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I have been at it almost three years now. About 2/3rds CCM and the remainder split between Urban Gospel and Quartet style. It is not unheard of for our music director to lay down a groove and for us to improvise during the service. Not quite the Kim Clemet level as the singers rarely step up to improvise a lyric

I am running flats, normally on the neck pickup of my P/J direct to the PA, although i have had to turn up my Carvin MB15 on a couple of occasions when a bad wireless mic knocked out our system.

I have posted my church affiliation in the club threads a few times
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I play old time gospel but not in church. My dad is a big fan of the old hillbilly gospel songs so we play some every time we get together. He's also a big fan of old time fiddle tunes, and most anything along those lines so we play a wide range of stuff from Billy In the Lowground to Dead Flowers to Uncloudy Day to Paradise to Louise to Been All Around The World to Uncle Penn to...

I find joy in playing it, but that joy comes from having a common bond with my dad through music rather than whatever message, story, or cautionary tale may be contained in the music we do together.
  11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I am too but I think me, my brother, one of the keyboardists, and the praise leader are serious all the time. Everyone else is just...there just because.

And with our praise leader stepping down...it kinda is falling apart...

Man I long for super tight band
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Don't know if they still do it, but one of the big churches downtown used to hold jazz vespers once a month. I was told a lot of the heavyweight local jazz guys would show up.