Does anyone else really DISLIKE talking music with people?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

And by that I mean do you dislike talking about bands and artists that you like with other people? I personally hate doing it because of how judgmental conversations can seem to turn if your tastes don't line up. Likewise, I just hate how ignorant people can be at times when it comes to music. I've gotten the, "You like that band?" before from a number people who have never even listened to that artist's material enough to make a decent judgment of it. Ah, it's just frustrating [/rant].
  2. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

YES. i hate answering that question, "so what kind of music are you into?" it's not because i'm afraid of being judged, i just really can't be bothered to have that discussion. it means i'm supposed to ask the same question in return, and inevitably i don't care what the answer is. it's the same with dudes who want to talk about bass gear. i just seriously don't care and want them to go away haha.
  3. Coeball

Coeball

Hell yes have to deal with this crap from one guy I live with all the time. Taste is taste there are plenty of good bands I don't like, and plenty of bad ones that I do. Our preferences should not be used as a barometer of what good music is.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

See, I don't mind talking gear that much :p

Exactly! Almost everyone seems to think their taste in music superior and that they are the only one in the history of the world to ever like good music (or whatever they consider good music). Can't we all just like what we like and not concern ourselves about what others like?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I LOVE talking about music with people. One of the first questions I'll often ask a new acquaintance is 'what kind of music to you most enjoy?'. Then again, I have a masters in musicology... :)
  7. lustersilk

lustersilk

I really enjoy talking music with people but I have a very broad taste ranging from a kid tapping his knife on his water glass to Symphonic Orchestra. When I discuss peoples dislikes I try to learn by asking them why.
  8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    I do know a few people that I don't like talking to about music. It's usually non-musos who think they're some sort of informed authority on the subject. People expressing personal views on what they like or don't like is absolutely fine, of course. But I'll be ****** if I'll be told what's "good" music and what's "bad" music by someone who thinks an opinion is all you need to be an expert.
  9. El Beardo

El Beardo

I agree with the OP too. When someone asks "What kind of music do you like?" I usually replay "The good kind." I'll admit that I'm good at finding something about a song or band that I don't like. I'm not saying it just to be an ass, it's just what I think. I wouldn't mind chatting about music, or anything else for that matter, so long as the person I'm chatting with can handle me possibly not liking their favorite band without feeling personally insulted. I think that's the real annoyance for me. Someone taking a disagreement in musical taste as a call for war or even a tiresome debate. Or just as bad when a more passive person starts taking back and contradicting what they've said after hearing my opinion. That's not an engaging conversation, that's just talking to myself.
  10. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Sort of. I ask people all the time what kind of music they like, because it's a good way to learn about things you never knew (and might like), but it always pisses me off when someone's immediate reply is some typical pop trash that gets played on the "popular" station 159 times per day. I enjoy talking music with people who know music.

--Silvie
  11. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

I love talking about music with others, because that's one of the best ways for me to find out about new music.

The thing that really annoys me, though, is when people write off an entire genre (Oh, I listen to anything but RAP ... or country...)
  12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I stay away from conversations about music because most people take it as an opportunity to judge and hate on genres or bands they don't like.

The other day someone posted something how funky Pink Floyd is.

I kept my mouth shut.

Blue
  13. theretheyare

theretheyare

I Love talking about music! As long as it doesn't derail into person A maintaining he is "right" and "therefore" person B is "wrong". Endlessly tiresome, pompous and infantile are discussions about who is the worst/best/overrated/underated/greatest etc.
  14. jay tay

jay tay

Media:
    Albums:
    Most of my close friends are musicians, so music is one of the most talked about subjects... however I just know whenever I share that I enjoy an artist that is not on the "cool list" I'll get that disapproving look from everyone, followed by the long drawn out conversation where I'm supposed to justify my choice of music. Especially if the artist in question is mainstream, and currently in the charts. :(
  15. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Most of the time it either becomes a circle jerk or a circle of jerks, so, while I love talking music, artists and genres, I usually don't.
  16. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

I get a lot of "I like everything except country and rap" my favorite response is "so you like Satanic black metal too? Have you heard (insert made up offensive band name) new album?"
  17. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

No offense, JMatt, but it sounds like you may be hanging out with hipsters. :p
  18. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I personally love talking music with other people. But that's really because I don't know really any other musicians, so when I meet one, I'm pretty excited to talk music stuff.... Yes, I am THAT guy.

Would be different I guess if I was in a band.
  19. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

I enjoy it, but it doesn't happen much anymore.
  20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

LMAO!

[​IMG]
  21. baileyboy

baileyboy

Being a huge Rush fan, I know what you mean...