Does anyone else think the Grammy's are a joke?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

I've thought this way for years. Who in the hell else could give out an award for a spoken word album?

2. abstractart06

abstractart06

Remember Milly Vanilly?

3. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    Nothing wrong with spoken word. Rap is not much more, and frequently less. Look up Ken Nordine some time.

That being said, yes the Grammies are mostly a big marketing joke. Once in a while, music happens or is acknowledged, but then, the mix usually sicks.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I've always thought that the Grammy's were a joke as well. It's just an opportunity for the music business to pat itself on its back. As a rule of thumb, I generally loathe any good ol' boy self-congratulatory pageant. It's why I always chuckle every year when people get all indignant that their favorite band didn't get inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame. What, you are still operating under the impression that the Hall of Fame has integrity and is a legitimate authority on music?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm not interested in infomercials, so I usually don't watch any kind of awards show.

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Haven't watched it in years. And today's headlines will ensure that it will remain a long time, if ever, until I watch it again.

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

just the industry parading there latest consumables and taylored for media hype.

9. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Payola. But now it's the advertisers forking it over to the network, so the recording industry can tell the sheeple whose cowpies they think are most palatable.

10. bassteban

bassteban

What are the Grammies? I like graham crackers

11. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I like Feynman's view on honours and awards.

13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

any show with Chicago playing will always get my attention. They've been great for 4 decades.

14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

The fact that Hendrix, Queen, the Kinks, the Who, the Doors and Zeppelin never won a single Grammy and Kanye has won 21 shows me exactly what the Grammys are worth.

15. Roofie

Roofie

But Zeppelin literally just won a Grammy. They're still worthless but I think we all know that anyway at this point.

16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I thought it was common knowledge, like the R&R Hall of Fame

17. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Alright, I stand corrected on that one

18. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I don't have a problem with spoken word.

But the Grammies, yeah, that's always been an Amway conspiracy and an inside joke amongst the illuminati.

19. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Alright, I stand corrected on that one

20. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Isn't 'Devil Went Down To Georgia' a spoken word song? I don't have a problem with rap being include in music awards, but the Grammy's, I could care less about the award and the ceremony. I listen to music I like. Sometimes, the artists or bands I like get an award, sometimes they don't.

21. Milk

Milk

Yup to all that.

Of all the major award shows out there the grammies is the worst, the only one that doesnt seem to reflect reality half the time. I mean i disagree with a lot of Oscar choices sure, but by and large usually they get at least more than half of it sorta right (nomination wise anyway). The grammys nominations are more often than not just baffling.

About the spoke word award though...well the grammys is not about just music, its about recordings. So i DO think its normal they should have spoken word, even if no one cares. Colbert won that one already apparently (i guess they announce the winners for the categories no oen cares about early). Which is funny considering on his shows he kept saying how he would crush the other nominees and was (jokingly) disrespectful of them. I can't wait to see tonight's show...