Does anyone else use Cliff Burtons right hand technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I mean the way he holds it.
    Index straight. Middle straight. Ring finger tucked in/under. Pinky straight.

Has anyone ever tried his technique before? Has anyone seen anyone else using it perhaps live? Was Cliff the first one to start doing this?

I'm asking because I use it. I like it. However, I don't want to become a copy-cat :help:

2. CauliColin

CauliColin

If it feels comfy, do it.

That's all I can say on this matter :S

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I dont think anyone will ever come up to you accusing you of having Cliff Burton's right hand technique.

4. makanudo

makanudo

He had a severed tendon. Not exactly a technique

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

x2. The pinky sticking straight out was more of a reflex than "technique". As a teenager I idolized Cliff and studied every video I could find of him playing. Sometimes the pinky was out, sometimes not. It all depended on how fast he was playing, honestly. And , honestly, whenever I was playing songs like "Disposable Heroes" or "Metal Militia" id sometimes find my pinky trying to stick out a bit too lol.

7. Tupac

Tupac

Cliff's technique, as I see it, is characterized by anchoring his wrist to the body of the bass. He did this to wear it low and tilt the neck upwards for his fretting hand. Just instinct. Get a bass that doesn't dive and you won't be limited by that. Also, he tilted his right hand towards the neck to make it easier to rake.