Does anyone get Seller's Remorse?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Recently sold my American Fender P Bass.

Needed money ASAP so I sold it but I feel a pang of regret and remorse....does anyone else get this or is it just me?
  2. GOX42

GOX42

Every time....I have traded 4 basses in my time and I want each of them back.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have had seller's remorse many times.
  4. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

It's weird. I needed money yet I regret obtaining money after selling a bass.....weird....weird. at least I'm $800 richer!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I've sold/traded a lot of instruments over the past few years. Over the summer, I went to Nashville and traded a few basses for a 1956 Gibson EB-1. Love the EB-1, but I missed my 2007 Fender Am. Std. P Bass that was part trade for it. I drove the 4 hours to get it back right before Christmas. I'm glad it didn't sell.
  7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Are you kidding me the story of my music-life.
  8. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Nope. Then again, I don't sell my stuff.
  9. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Not all, but I've regretted quite a few. Sold a couple of Fenders I wish I hadn't, and sold a modded HH Ray I really wish I hadn't.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

For brief seconds, yes, but usually I sell something for a reason, not for the cash. I have never debated getting a bass back.
  11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure if it's sold for cash it's a different story as there is more to the sale. I've sold about 7 of my at one time babies....just wasn't playing them and instruments collecting dust isn't really my thing. Usually one out one in.

I'm about to sell a great old Marshall amp because again I'm just not using it. I'd rather someone heat those tubes.

I think the reason drives the remorse.
  12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The flip-side of this is knowing you would have had sellers remorse if you had in fact sold an instrument. At one point I needed money and almost sold a bass but the deal fell through. With that in mind every time I look at it/play it, I'm extra happy! It's a good feeling to ask myself "what was I thinking?" and still have the bass.
  13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Everytime I sell a bass I get remorse. If I need to raise some cash, and I decide to sell a bass, I don't play it for a while b/c if I do, I won't want to sell it. I hate it when potential buyers keep asking questions that make me go take it out of the case and handle it, play it, ect. b/c it makes me not want to sell it.
  14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I dunno...every time I've sold a classic 50's P I've regretted it and even contacted an old buyer to get one back. It's been four now :)

I finally took the leap and bought an AmStd and am finally acclimated to it, but I know the Classic 50's I'm trying to dump now will eventually come back to haunt me. It's like a really hot, but slutty ex girlfriend I guess.
  15. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

One thing's for sure: I will never sell my MIM Jazz because I invested so much into making it look like a Geddy Lee model without having to pay $1000 for it. New BAII bridge, maple neck with them inlays....might as well go all out and get some CS60s pups huh
  16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Nope. I wish I kept my old Fenders and Stingrays that I sold in the late 80's, but nothing beyond that.
  17. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I told myself a while ago that if I want to buy anything, I need to sell something. It's not a money issue, just a limit I set on myself. It makes me think about both buying and selling. Thus far, I have had no regrets. I only really sold things that I wasn't playing. At this point it would be more difficult because I really like everything I have.
  18. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

every pedal ive ever liked I sold... and now all the ones I get just don't do it for me... yeesh
  19. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

That's a really smart way of thinking.
  20. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Sold my '79 Rick 4001 ten years ago and to this day I miss it. Sadly the guy I sold it to in turn sold it, so I doubt I'll ever see it again.
  21. Stag

Stag Supporting Member

The second bass i ever owned was a MIM jazz, a friend had made it a 62, and it was great! No real ridiculous value, it was heavy. But i loved it. But i ended up owning it for 10 years. One day i decided to sell it back to the guy who built it. He said he'd keep it forever, ended up flipping it.

Just sentimental.