1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does anyone get Seller's Remorse?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C
    Recently sold my American Fender P Bass.

Needed money ASAP so I sold it but I feel a pang of regret and remorse....does anyone else get this or is it just me?

2. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    Every time....I have traded 4 basses in my time and I want each of them back.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have had seller's remorse many times.

5. jazzonlyjazz

Jun 9, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C
    It's weird. I needed money yet I regret obtaining money after selling a bass.....weird....weird. at least I'm $800 richer!!

6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I've sold/traded a lot of instruments over the past few years. Over the summer, I went to Nashville and traded a few basses for a 1956 Gibson EB-1. Love the EB-1, but I missed my 2007 Fender Am. Std. P Bass that was part trade for it. I drove the 4 hours to get it back right before Christmas. I'm glad it didn't sell.

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Are you kidding me the story of my music-life.

8. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Nope. Then again, I don't sell my stuff.

9. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Not all, but I've regretted quite a few. Sold a couple of Fenders I wish I hadn't, and sold a modded HH Ray I really wish I hadn't.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

For brief seconds, yes, but usually I sell something for a reason, not for the cash. I have never debated getting a bass back.

11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I'm sure if it's sold for cash it's a different story as there is more to the sale. I've sold about 7 of my at one time babies....just wasn't playing them and instruments collecting dust isn't really my thing. Usually one out one in.

I'm about to sell a great old Marshall amp because again I'm just not using it. I'd rather someone heat those tubes.

I think the reason drives the remorse.

12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The flip-side of this is knowing you would have had sellers remorse if you had in fact sold an instrument. At one point I needed money and almost sold a bass but the deal fell through. With that in mind every time I look at it/play it, I'm extra happy! It's a good feeling to ask myself "what was I thinking?" and still have the bass.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Everytime I sell a bass I get remorse. If I need to raise some cash, and I decide to sell a bass, I don't play it for a while b/c if I do, I won't want to sell it. I hate it when potential buyers keep asking questions that make me go take it out of the case and handle it, play it, ect. b/c it makes me not want to sell it.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I dunno...every time I've sold a classic 50's P I've regretted it and even contacted an old buyer to get one back. It's been four now :)

I finally took the leap and bought an AmStd and am finally acclimated to it, but I know the Classic 50's I'm trying to dump now will eventually come back to haunt me. It's like a really hot, but slutty ex girlfriend I guess.

15. jazzonlyjazz

Jun 9, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C
    One thing's for sure: I will never sell my MIM Jazz because I invested so much into making it look like a Geddy Lee model without having to pay $1000 for it. New BAII bridge, maple neck with them inlays....might as well go all out and get some CS60s pups huh

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Disclosures:
    LOTS of endorsements...on LinkedIn. Too bad none have anything to do with bass.
    Nope. I wish I kept my old Fenders and Stingrays that I sold in the late 80's, but nothing beyond that.

17. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Bucks Co, PA
    I told myself a while ago that if I want to buy anything, I need to sell something. It's not a money issue, just a limit I set on myself. It makes me think about both buying and selling. Thus far, I have had no regrets. I only really sold things that I wasn't playing. At this point it would be more difficult because I really like everything I have.

18. eddododo

eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    every pedal ive ever liked I sold... and now all the ones I get just don't do it for me... yeesh

19. jazzonlyjazz

Jun 9, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C
    That's a really smart way of thinking.

20. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Appleton, WI
    Sold my '79 Rick 4001 ten years ago and to this day I miss it. Sadly the guy I sold it to in turn sold it, so I doubt I'll ever see it again.

21. Stag

Stag

Jan 10, 2011
    Olympia, wa
    The second bass i ever owned was a MIM jazz, a friend had made it a 62, and it was great! No real ridiculous value, it was heavy. But i loved it. But i ended up owning it for 10 years. One day i decided to sell it back to the guy who built it. He said he'd keep it forever, ended up flipping it.

Just sentimental.