1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does anyone have a 8 string Guirtar Not bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Dec 24, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I don't know why but is it a good Idea to learn Both bass and guritar at the same tim but I want to learn 8 string but Tune it as this BEADGBEA is this a good idea and what strings should I used to do this with?
  2. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

They made that, it's called a Chapman Stick. Or a Skeletone Tapper.

Peace,
    Greg
  3. spade2you

spade2you

High A strings aren't terribly popular. It's hard to find strings that sound worth a crap and don't snap at 25.5" scale. Shorten the scale length and the B string sounds like crap. Fanned frets are an option, but not cheap.
  4. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Maybe I could run it over the http://circlekstrings.com/store/8_string_guitar.html I think they have a set I could try out. However, am going to learn everything thing I can on the seven string guitar before moving over. Its very much like I did with my six string started from 5 then to 6 and in this case start with seven and move to eight.

Am thinking about buying a Ibanez RG8 8 string. I did notice it fit my hands better than the 7 anyways.
  5. spade2you

spade2you

A lot of 8 strings are 27 or 28" and the .008 is to tune to E since a .009 would have a lot more tension due to the scale length. These are designed more for a low f# string.
  6. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

maybe am better off with geting this ESP LTD H208 8-String Electric Guitar 25.5" slace lought
  7. spade2you

spade2you

With a .008, you probably won't be able to tune the string higher than G and it will sound extremely thin. That's basically the reason that everyone has a low B string instead of a high A. You can kind of get away with it on a nylon string like Lenny Breau did.

If you want a higher tuning, there's always a capo.
  8. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I could try a .007 string. I know they make thoses.