1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does anyone have anything nice to say about the EHX Steel Leather?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HunterBurgan4Me, Feb 17, 2013.

1. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

So in principle this sounds like a perfect pedal for me, I love a nice metallic punky bass sound but every clip I've found of it has been terrible.

Is this just the way they've been set up or is it the pedal itself?
  2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Sounds much better in a mix than in a solo clip. It's definitely a clatter machine, so if you're looking to expand on that sound in a mix it should do it.

There's no denying it sounds terrible on its own, especially at aggressive settings.
  3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I owned one and hated it, it squealed in my effects chain and it was just a high freq clank when turned on, I haven't tried one since and my whole rig has changed so I could be wrong this time round
  4. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

I have nothing nice to say about it so I'll keep my mouth shut.
    Ended up scrapping mine for the spare parts rather than try to resell it.
  5. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

I'm willing to bet you couldn't give that thing away
  6. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Probably not. Repainted the enclosure and sold it off for a few bucks. Used one of the jacks for a temporary repair of a friends busted guitar jack. Used one of the pots in a prototype muff build. The parts were worth more then the hassle of trying to recoup lost money spent on the pedal.

I'm sure someone finds the pedal useful. Every once in a long while one will show up on a pedalboard in the PYPB threads.
  7. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

This thread is funny. I just bought one of these pedals on eBay today. I'll post my impressions after I have a chance to try it out.
  8. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I quite like it.
    It gets used for adding bite to finger style stuff, to make it sound a little like picking, when I can't be bothered to use a pick.
    It does do a wicked Steve Harris clank though ;)
  9. Duckwater

Duckwater

I wonder how it would sound with dead flats