Does anyone have the new Rickenbacker 4003 Walnut bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timpala, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

I have been wanting to get a Rickenbacker 4003 bass for some time now. This new walnut version just may make it the year that I get one. I have always wanted a Fireglow, but I really think the walnut is really good looking. I have read that this may be the only year they will make the 4003 walnut? I could be mistaken. But, if so, I want it even more. Does anyone own one of these yet. Or, has anyone played one and compared it to the normal 4003 maple bodied bass? Any opinions?
  2. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-rickenbacker-4003w-1064265/
  3. Timpala

Oh man... That is very nice! The 4003 has always been one of the best looking basses in my opinion. The walnut just might be my favorite over the Fireglow. Don't ever sell it. Classic. Where did you order it from?
  4. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wish it was mine.

I hadn't been keeping up on the latest Rickenbacker news. Then I saw this thread and had to fight some major GAS.

The 4003W appears to be a fantastic combination of wood choices in a timeless classic bass.

Search 4003W and you'll find more info on TB.

If you're in Thailand you'll have to do some searchin' to find international distributors.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    TBer BassGen has one and I played it last week and it is killer.

I am not a RIC fan but if I bought one it would be the 4003W.

The 4003W sounds really good and is the lightest RIC I have played by far. A good couple of pounds less than average. And the finish is super cool too.
  7. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I love, love, love that bass. Don't have one. . . .YET.

I may have to let my Fireglo go and snag one of these.
  8. Bongolation

Bongolation

I'm considering it. Best price I can find is about $1610, shipped, which is a lot of scratch considering all the Rickenbacker iffiness that might go the wrong way on the particular one you receive. They're also heavy -- around 10#, I understand.

So, I might do it, but I feel apprehensive about it more than anything else. :meh:
  9. Journey55

Journey55

Where'd you find this price? I'm gonna buy one around August but I'd like to be a well informed buyer
  10. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I played Bassgen's at our recent gtg and I will echo what Baird said... it's lighter then my fireglo 4003 from 2011 by atleast a pound... and seems to maintain the typical RIC tone.
    JMHO
    Fishheadjoe
  11. Timpala

I have always wanted the fireglo. But, I saw the walnut, and now I can't decide. I'm sure I will sit on it for a while and then decide. Did you see them side by side to make a visual comparison?

My friend/co-worker (who is also a bass player) and myself are always talking about gear and basses. I always have to keep quiet when I really like something. I don't want him to know because the last time I was about ready to buy a Ric, he all of the sudden got into them and bought one. He bought a Jetglo. I had to "Call" the fireglo (like we do as children) so he wouldn't buy one. Our bands sometimes play shows together, so we can't have the same bass ;).
  12. Bongolation

Bongolation

$1599 from Wildwood.

I doubt there will be any left by August.
  13. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You can overpay with this guy on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-RICKEN...p-/231189851672?pt=Guitar&hash=item35d3fd2e18 , ($3K and he charges for shipping) or order a new one and pay the current market value instead.

That Ebay listing just pisses me off.
    There was a 4003W here on TB earlier this month for $1,699 shipped. THAT's a fair price, and it was a TBer looking out for other TBers. Of course, it sold in about 17 hours of being posted in the classifieds.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Street on the Fireglo is ~$90/$100 less if that helps with the decision.

MF is selling 4003s for $1399 at the moment, but no walnut ones.
  15. someparts

someparts Supporting Member

Great price, most are selling within $100 of list. If it was listed on their site you could get a price match from MF. I don't see it listed though.
  16. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I've had a 4001 for 35 years and its been a jewel of an instrument. Last week I was out amp shopping and a store that I was in had a couple of 4003s that I played trying out amps. The profile of the necks were noticeably fatter than my classic. I'd be tempted by the walnut but I'd hate to order a bass and find out I didn't like the feel of the neck
  17. Bongolation

Bongolation

I guess weight is all over the place like on other 4003s (why should the 4003W be any different?), but I've heard weight gripes about them, and an actual weighed figure of over 10#.

But I'm sure they're saving the oppressively heaviest one for me. Everyone seems to. It's amazing, like an industry conspiracy.
  18. Bongolation

Bongolation

They may not be in yet. I got the quote a couple of weeks ago, and they were "on the way" still.

MF won't have them until May.
  19. Sartori

Sartori

People on ebay confuse me.

They seem to think a slightly used Rickenbacker is worth $3000, despite the fact that I can call Wildwood or PickoftheRics and get a new one for a little over half that.

They're probably the same people who are charging $50 for the pickup cover... a piece I could get new for $20.
  20. Sartori

Sartori

You can just send it to me, if so. I love heavy basses. That's one thing I love about my Rickenbacker.
  21. Timpala

I just got a quote for a walnut from MF and they sent this: Our Price: $2,035.99

If I can get a Fireglo for $1399, I'm in. But, last I checked, they were still around $1,800.