1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does anyone have the West Side Story bass score to lend?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Jan 1, 2012.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Hey all, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this kind of question, but I wanted to ask: Does anyone have a copy of the bass score to West Side Story? I just received word that I'll be playing the bass part in a local theater production this March, and the theater group tends to pass around the scores a week or two before opening night. I've been listening to the soundtrack pretty regularly, and it seems pretty... involved :D I don't know if two weeks prep time is going to be enough for me to have it down as tight as I want it to be, so I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone had a copy I could borrow for a day so I could scan it and practice on my own. I would of course be happy to pay for the cost of shipping should anyone not in the Boston area be amenable to lending it to me!
  2. Mirios

Mirios

A quick search came up with this vocal score. Has some bass parts not sure how true to the full orchestrated lines they are.

Partitura - West Side Story - Complete Score

Hope it helps. It has been many years since I played that one and no longer have my copy of the score.
  3. rosskratter

rosskratter

4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

I... I love you guys. So very, very much! :-D
  5. rosskratter

rosskratter

Quick note: the link I posted is not the most recent version that MTI sends out (the new one, from the most recent revival, lacks the overture). Bernstein didn't want the overture.
  6. zakalwe

zakalwe

Hi -don't suppose there's any chance you could re-upload that, rosskratter, could you? Many thanks!
  7. Earache

Earache

It's alarming how charming I feeeeel!
  8. rosskratter

rosskratter

9. BeJay

BeJay

+1:bassist:
  10. xMaxBASSx

xMaxBASSx

Why would they send this out a week before the show? It's some of the hardest music I've ever played
  11. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

They're probably worried that someone might scan it and send the PDF's out on the Internet (silly souls!).

It is difficult music. What makes it difficult (and really worth it) is the interaction with the other instruments and the cast. Definately practice the stuff on your own, but the real joy comes in rehearsals and performance.
  12. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

To rosskratter - Thanks for posting that pdf all those months ago! I'm doing this in the spring, and it will be by FAR the hardest part I've ever played. I will need the extra time in the woodshed on this one! I've been playing different shows, but they mostly have ooh-pah parts for the bass. WSS is jazzy and latin-y - genres in which I have ZERO experience.

Thanks again.
  13. rosskratter

rosskratter

It's a tough book with a lot of arco... Get ready!