Does Anyone Here Perform Children's Music?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just curious to see if anyone here perform Children's music in a professionally or semi professionally. If so, I'd like to hear your experiences.
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I don't, but my daughter (7) and I got to chat with Sam Zucchini after a performance at her school a couple months ago. I bought her a mini kit and his instructional DVD.

The only thing I can add is that I really appreciated how they handled a crowd that was basically more insane than any drunken mosh pit I've ever seen. They realize that kids are kids and their attention will eventually drift. They wound up doing some awesome songs and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Grahm Parsons, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Neil Young...

I thoroughly enjoyed it while the kids ran rampant around the gym. Don't know if this helps, but that's my experience from an outside perspective.
  3. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

I don't but I know the Wiggles make serious bank. Perhaps my next band should be a children's music band.
  4. basslifter

basslifter

I don't but I saw a guy who came to my son's school last year. He gave them some movements to do during the songs and played games with them....genius. So the result was they moved when he wanted them too...and danced....and sang etc
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Not "professionally" in any sense, buy my wife used to be the children's librarian in our town (she's since moved up to director). She and I would do a music program for kids from time to time, her on guitar, I did mainly mandolin at first then brought in bass or a second guitar as I got better at them. Our usual format was about 1/2 hour of craft time where the kids would make their own instrument - usually some kind of shaker or drum. Then we'd all sit down and sing songs, mostly very simple, well-known stuff: Itsy Bitsy Spider and the Wheels on the Bus and lots of Raffi songs and stuff like that. We made no effort to be creative or original, because to the kids (age 2-6 or so, mostly) ALL these songs are new and exciting.

A big part of the goal was to equip the parents to go home and sing the songs with their kids, because a lot of the time modern parents don't know where to start with teaching their kids music or reading. We'd pass out songsheets with lyrics to parents, and of course the kids would take their "instruments" home with them. If anything, it was better that we NOT be polished and professional because the message was, "You can do this too, it's not hard and doesn't have to be perfect."
  7. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

My church orders a packaged Vacation Bible School program every year which includes a CD of special songs for the kids to learn. The praise band will learn three or four of the songs and perform them on the closing night. By then the kids have learned the words and the movements, and with their energy it makes it a very fun "gig."
  8. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

I do a music education presentation to Elementry school children twice a yes for a yew years now. Just basic timeline of styles, what is sheet music, etc.. The first time I presented I brought guitar and small amp and a bass for reference the first class attention spans were all over the place and random unrelated questions abounded at the end of the first class I played some different styles which the kids liked and held thier attention. These classes come in waves of three so the next class came in and was as rambunctious as little kids are, the teacher introduced me barely audible over the din of the kids, I still had my qui tar on from the first class so I thought " what the hell, faint hurt". So I switched over to the gain channel and ripped into Eddie's Eruption. From that moment on I was a rock star to them , they were engaged and stayed on topic. One kid even asked if I could play bass for them and why the two were different.

Now for those classes I go lookin like I am about to play a rock gig. Black boots thirsts ripped jeans. Kids love it.
  9. randyripoff

randyripoff

Back in the early '90's I was stage managing a children's show called The Cookie Crumb Club. As stage managing the show essentially consisted of making sure the lights worked and the people on stage could be seen, there was little for me to do once the show started.

I wasn't intended to perform initially, but there was one song that I realized I could fit in quite nicely with a singing part. He had a song about a cowboy named Cowboy Joe who loved to sing and loved to eat candy, but didn't like to brush his teeth and so his teeth feel out. My part was to sing both with teeth and without. Did that for about six months.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Check out my good friend Dave Fry ... he's made a lifetime career of it, with a good deal of regional success and recognition in the Lehigh Valley area of PA, and NJ, NY, and CT. He's the real deal.
  11. bassteban

bassteban

Check out The Hipwaders- also They Might Be Giants
  12. richntiff

richntiff

This is all cool stuff - good job! I think that would be so much fun!
  13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yep.

My wife took our grandchildren to see the Wiggles - it was an afternoon show during the middle of the week at the Wells Fargo Center for the Arts and my wife said the house was packed.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This guy , Victor Johnson, is local to me and seems to do pretty well with that side of his music. I've played some festivals where his act and one of my jazz bands were back to back. We played a few Disney tunes, which often go over pretty well anyway. Neither one of us can top Richie The Reptile Man though...;)

[​IMG]
  15. dalkowski

dalkowski

Keyboardist/leader of my trio has said he'd put a word in for me with a guy he knows who's pretty busy on the silly circuit. I'd give it a shot.

Kid's music band name I wish I'd thought of: "The Not-Its," fronted by Velocity Girl's Sarah Shannon.
  16. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Does performing childish count?
  17. atticpenny

atticpenny

My current cover band has about two long sets of kid's songs that we keep around. We will do a kid's show whenever we can. They can be fun. We will also add in a quick run of kid's songs at outdoor "festival" type gigs and usually that turns out to be the most fun part of the show. Kids (and parents) are a great audience. Little kids love to dance. We try to pick fun (Hokey Pokey, etc) and smart (Dan Zanes, Elizabeth Mitchell) kids songs. The Dan Zanes songs can end up in our "regular" gigs, as his songs are equally good for grown-ups and kids. We have been asked back to festival gigs SPECIFICALLY because we did a bunch of kid-friendly material.
  18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

The Wiggles are great. I met them backstage (!) years ago with my then 3 year old daughter. Super cool blokes...especially Captain Feathersword, who does a mean James Hetfield.
  19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

The music is pretty simple. Looks like the pizazz is in the presentation. I could see playing the bass while dressing up as a purple dinosaur. The big question is: would the kids know the difference between a crappy amp and my all-tube Jule Amps Monique? :D

http://www.thewiggles.com/
  20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Since the thread is running, I may as well point out to guys that don't have standard day jobs or can take a morning off, that libraries can be good children's-music gigs. $100 or more to go in and play an hour of acoustic stuff would be quite common. I've never been paid since my wife is the librarian and I'm a presumed volunteer, but the programming budgets are there.
  21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I have also played music in Vacation Bible School. I participate often in children's worship at church. It really does something to you when you hear a bunch of kids enthusiastically lifting up their voices in praise.

I'm on a CD of children's music that is sold on CD Baby. This CD turned out pretty well except for the part where the recording engineer/producer decided to change my "drop the one" bass part on the reggae style song, track #2.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/windmarallstars

For grins and giggles, here's a picture from one year that Captian Cliff led Vacation Bible School. Kids are always a blast to work with.

[​IMG]

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff