1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

does anyone know what this is..????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ajaxbass, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ajaxbass

ajaxbass

Feb 14, 2014
    I have a jazz bass copy..,red..,good quality..,it has on the headstock Nadine standard..made in japan sticker on back of headstock...looks to be poss a late eighties .. rosewood fingerboard,small dot markers.. jus wondered if anyone could give me some info on it..i bought it used in a shop in Leicester..,tried a Squire and a Fender jazz and this...this was the best player so i Paid £120.....thank you...

2. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Some pics would sure help!

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    yes pics. seems like you have answered your own question to an extent.?

5. this is all I could find on them looks like you did okay good luck with it

NADINE
    Instruments previously produced in Japan during the late 1980s.
    The Nadine trademark was a brand name used by a British importer. Nadine guitars are good quality Fender-derived and Superstrat models. Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru's Guitar Guide.

6. Andy T

Andy T

Mar 6, 2015
    I have owned a Nadine Jazz Bass for about 21 years. I bought it when I was 17 as a wee upgrade thinking that one day I'll own a Fender Jazz... I still play it as my main bass and can't find much better. Does anyone know or have any idea which Japanese factory it was produced in?

7. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    Would dig on seeing pics. I'm curious if it's got a "lawsuit" headstock, i.e., shaped like a Fender headstock.

Whether it is or isn't the little research I pulled was inconclusive but would seem to indicate the Nadine brand came out of the Matsumoku factory.

I'm anything but an expert, but I love many of the old MIJ Fender knockoffs, have owned several (never heard of a Nadine before, however) and have tried to acquaint myself with their history inasmuch as is possible.

To my understanding, the two primary factories in Japan where these types of copies were produced were Matsumoku and Fujigen Gakki. Both plants turned out some decent-to-stellar instruments.

I currently own a Matsumoku "Lotus" brand P bass copy that is decent and is identical to the Hondo Professional 830 P copy. I used to own a MIJ "Memphis" brand P copy that was one of the best basses I ever owned, and I've owned quite a dang few.

8. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Wait.....it's coming to me.....it's a Rickenbacker 4001.

[​IMG]

9. Andy T

Andy T

Mar 6, 2015
    I had thought it was Fujigen but hadn't thought of Matsumoku. It looks simular to a Fujigen Fender Jazz from the same period in that it has the truss rod nut in the body and the head stock is similar. When you own such an instrument you would always like to think that it was a Fujigen instrument as that is closer to owing a 'real' Fender. But I can see why you went of Matsumoku, they went out of business the year that these things came on the market so it could be some sort of dead stock buy up. The pots are dodgy (non logarithmic) and thats the only bad thing about it. Anyway here's a couple of pic links
    Dropbox - Photo 08-03-2015 11 23 01 pm.jpg

Dropbox - Photo 08-03-2015 11 23 19 pm.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. Andy T

Andy T

Mar 6, 2015
    Proper photos rather than links

fearnpol likes this.
  11. bholder

bholder Peripheral Visionary Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Does it say anything on the neckplate on the back?

12. Andy T

Andy T

Mar 6, 2015
    Nothing, it's almost like they didn't want people to know. There may have been a MIJ sticker somewhere. I'm interest to have a look under the scatch plate. Never had that off before

13. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy Bottom Feeder Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Looks good. Spaghetti logo and all. I would rock that.

shawshank72 and Andy T like this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, the other place manufacturers often marked was inside the neck pocket or the heel of the neck.

Andy T likes this.
  15. Andy T

Andy T

Mar 6, 2015
    Took the neck off and found this. It seems to look like ones I've seen online on aria guitars so I think it could be Matsumoku. Can anyone confirm which factory used this stamp?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    fearnpol likes this.
  16. fearnpol

fearnpol

May 18, 2015
    I bought a Nadine Standard strat from the 'Raining stairs' music shop in Inverness in 1987. They had two and a precision bass copy, one was a metallis purple finish very heavy the guy told me it was all US Fender parts except for the neck, the second one was all built in Japan and cost less. A poor sutent I paid £120 pounds for it and never looked back it's had everything except the wood and pickguard changed but I never could find out who built the bloody thing.
    The one I didn't buy had a rosewood board and a fender vintage bridge all gold parts I wonder where that went, probably got a Fender decal on it and long sold as the 'real' deal.
    Music UK did a review on them circa 1982 and I believe that's when mine is from, the guy sold them off cheap as no one knew what they were and he'd had them for years.

17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I wouldn't believe that "except for the neck" schtick one bit. Still could be a great instrument.

18. that fender-like logo is great. :woot: