Does anyone Own a Vox amPlug Bass Headphone Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Nov 24, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Am came across this just a bit ago. Reason I can walk outside with my bass and keep playing. On the other hand I want to know if anyone had any problms with this. Just let me know thanks guys.
  2. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Mine works OK and sounds good, but has a couple of issues. There is audible hiss, but you can't hear it if you are playing. Also, it breaks up into distortion rather abruptly.
  3. chienmort

chienmort

Agree with the comments above. There is hiss but probably because the headphones we use are wide range compared to our bass rigs, and are directly coupled to our ears.

Also agree that the distortion cuts in a little early. However I have mislaid mine and may have to buy a new one as it really is a boon to practice.
  4. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

It's light & convenient... I can move around while playing for myself!

How ever, i don't use the distortion/compresion option
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

I have one too and it's sounds average, you get what you paid for.
    You can easely play be yourself or with your favorite tracks with the aux input.

I say i'd like to have something with a higher quality for a higher price and at least so useful and small.

Maybe i'll build one with discrete component and on a 18V powersupply.
  7. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I have the AmpPhones…they're, OK. That's about it.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

They're ok. As previously stated, the are a hair noisy, and star to distort a little sooner than Id like, but aside from that they're fine. Good headphones are a must. The Amplug is much more rugged than say, the PockitRockit but eats batteries just as fast. Could also be a problem for those with recessed jacks.
  9. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I really liked my Vox Amplug. I bought it when I moved into a new flat and I wasn't sure about volume levels. As it happens, that's not an issue now - I've asked around and nobody can hear anything as long as I'm reasonable.

A few months after I bought it, the output jack decided to throw a wobbly and now it only works in one channel (i.e. left side only). I'm annoyed about that and quite happy to do the repair myself (probably just a weak solder joint) but getting access into it to repair is nigh-on impossible without destroying it.

For £30 or so, it's a good idea. If mine hadn't crapped out on me, I'd be much happier but they're still decent. It wouldn't be a primary distortion tone for recording and the layout is a little awkward if you're running an aux into it for practice but it's a decent device - my QC issue aside.
  10. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

I've been pleased with mine and would buy another if it crapped out tomorrow.
  11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, you could also consider the Peavey AmpKit Link. I have one of those (around $18) and I've had the Amplitube iRig. I live the Peavey the best.

But, I no longer have an iDevice, so I have been thinking of getting the Amplug. It may not sound AS good as the AmpKit Link, but for folks with no iDevice, it looks like the way to go - for folks who don't want to spend a lot and don't want a device that is separate and attached to the bass with a cord.
  12. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Not a bad little practice tool. Yes, a bit noisy and cheap sounding, but very handy to plug in your instrument, iPod and cans and off you go anywhere. I upgraded my practice gear and don't use it much anymore, but would not want to get rid of it either mainly for the small, portability factor.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I do not use them but one of my old students bought one, it was a neat little idea but for me personally a practice amp is a better choice, I do not really desire to sit on my deck and play bass, if I did I would probably just haul my amp out back. My students also broke extremely easy, I think he had it for two weeks.
  14. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I have a Mac computer but I don't think that's going to help.
  15. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Am too lazy to do that. Plus I have a place for my real amp I use. I don't like to move them around that much. Am also borrowing one at this time by Saturday I should have my own again.
  16. Nordic Groover

Nordic Groover Supporting Member

It sounds moderately crappy, but you can't expect miracles from something this small and cheap. :)

It's "handy factor" if you do indeed want to just wander around your house / yard / wherever listening to yourself play makes up for the less than stellar audio quality.
  17. moles

moles

Anybody successfully open theirs up for repairs? The headphone jack is going on mine - it really might just need a resolder, so I figured pop it open and do the job, and I'll get another few months use out of it.
    Can't seem to get it open though - taking out the one screw behind the actual plug part didn't do much...
  18. jannodude

jannodude

I was planning on picking up an amplug for practice purposes, but having an Ibanez the recessed jack makes it unusable without having to buy a small extension. I did more research and picked up a Cafe Walter headphone amp. It's pricey but well built and does the job well.
  19. moles

moles

For those of you with recessed jacks... It's easy enough to plug into a pedal tuner with your cable, and stick the AmPlug into the pedal out. That is, if you want to hassle with all those parts...
  20. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

It doesn't sound all that good, but it's OK, and I can fit it, a pair of earbuds, and a mini audio patch cable to connect a phone or MP3 player, all in the accessory compartment of any of my bass cases. That makes it more valuable than something 10 times better but 4 times as big.
  21. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

I just got one new from ebay, and my only bummer were totally crackly-sounding dirty wheels. Had to immediately pry it apart (no biggie if you have jeweler screwdrivers) and put a drop of De-Ox-It on the controls and exercise them to clean the contacts. Fine now.

Also, everyone would be advised to use a 1/4" jumper from the Vox to the guitar input. If you sit in a sofa, you could easily snap off the Vox 1/4" plug.