Does anyone use flats on a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Jan 17, 2014.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Sorry if this has been previously posted. I have searched threads to no avail.

Does anyone use flats on a Jazz bass? I have pbass with LaBella Jamerson flats and I understand the history of flats on a pbass. However, I can't seem to find any posts regarding flats on a Jazz. Am I being blasphemous to ask?

Are rounds the only strings for a Jazz? Do flats sound ok or not?

Thanks in advance.

2. GK Growl

GK Growl

3. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

Yes. Of course.

My VM Jazz 5 wears GHS Precision flats. A match made in heaven (IMHO). :)

4. but_ch

but_ch

Personally, I think flats are the only way to fly on a jazz.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metalhead398

metalhead398

Just got some for mine. LOVE them.

7. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Rounds on my '62 AVRI and flats on my American Standard Fretless. Love both of them!!

8. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

For what it's worth, I had d'adarrio chrome flats on a PJ fretless and they really worked for me. (it now has nylon flats). The chrome flats were very very VERY solid sounding. And to me perfect. bassstringsonline.com sell them for less than you would pay at your local store or other online stores for that matter. They're not too pricey so that giving them a try is major big deal if the fail. Approx 23 bucks. So, I'd say go for it, you will only know after trying. A few years ago I spent a ton of time asking around TB about half/ground-wounds for my P. But until I tried them, for every person that loved them, one person would say no good. So I gave it a shot and tried them... not my cup of tea, but that's AOK. Still have them packed neatly back in package, standing by for another day.

So if you're interested sticking with history, I'm with you, I'm not sure, but if you're looking for a smoother feel and a less "zing" in the tone I can imagine the clarity of the Jazz overall and the texture of the string might work well with the Jazz. I dont think they will loose any punch if that's your concern. I hope if you do buy them they inspire you, and if that's where it starts anyhow.

9. newbold

newbold

I have a set of chromes on mine. Swapped in after the tapewound Rotosounds weren't grounding me out. Now my bass is practically hum-free.

Until I get a second noiseless pickup in my bass I'm sticking with flats. After then? Back to the TruBass 88 - my favourite flatwound string set.

10. porterbass

porterbass

Up until the middle of last year I owned a '78 Jazz bass with flats. Absolutely loved the tone!

11. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Why dont basses come stock with flats?

12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

they use to in the 60's and early 70's

13. og61pbass

og61pbass

All my basses are sporting Chromes except my ATK 300,including a VM jazz...:bassist:

14. ZenG

ZenG

Times have changed....along with the guitars, the players and the strings.

As bass guitars moved further into the limelight.....and as style of playing and sound changed....so did the guitar itself and the strings that are used on it......

Flats satisfy a lot of users on certain guitars.....but there are a ton of players who want a different more modern sound........plus the ever increasing "slappers".

15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Media:
    Albums:
    I have only used rounds for fifteen years, mostly playing punk and blues. I recently fell into a free set of NOS nickel D'Add "half" (the wrap is flat on the outside and round on the inside), I like them enough that I'm considering getting a second J when my $ situation levels out- 1 with rounds, one with flats :)

16. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Hell yeah!

I know most folks associate flats with Motown-y P Bass thump, but there's something to be said about the crisp, articulate bite of the Jazz's split coils paired with the mellow punch of flats. I've had the light gauge LaBella set on mine for almost a year and a half, and never looked back.

Edit for OP: Don't forget Leo introduced the Jazz in 1960; rounds weren't widely available to the public until the late 60s–early 70s, and all Fenders came out of the factory with flats right up until '83. That's a huge portion of a classic era accounted for by Jazzes with flats.

17. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Hell yeah. TI Jazz Flats on my Geddy. So, so great.

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yep, I have chromes on my SX Jazz.

19. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Yep. Fender 9050L on my American Standard Jazz.

20. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I am falling in love with my RotoSound 77's! It definitely takes a month for them to de-bright (kinda cool, like playing a different set of strings everyday). I started with D'Addario Pro Steels; much happier with the tone of the flats. I'd recommend it for a more smooth low mid, if that's what you're after. IMO, gets the classic 70's rock sound (the flats), where as the bright round wounds are more for jazz or metal; solo etc.
    f n o r d !

21. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Now you've got me tempted to try the Rotos again. :hyper:

I wanted so hard to like them before, being used on the classic Zeppelin albums and all, but I just couldn't get over the tinny clank... they were replaced by my trusty old LaBellas within a couple days. Maybe I just didn't give them enough time?