1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does Blurred Lines sound like these two songs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. christianharger

christianharger Supporting Member

yes, but not nearly enough to sue over. from what I understand, lyrics and melody are the two most important aspects in this kind of a legal situation.
  3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Nope. I feel like this is a publicity stunt hoping imply a comparison. The Marvin Gaye song is it's own thing, and a timeless song at that. Blurred Lines is catchy as all hell, and I have to admit I like it, but it's nothing compared to Marvin Gaye. They don't even want money. I feel they just want the association.

'Thicke et al do not want any money from the Gayes and Bridgeport. Instead, they want the defendants to clearly acknowledge that the current chart topper does not infringe on their works, thus defusing any future threat of litigation. '
  4. edpal

edpal Tick-tock, she's not just another pretty face! Gold Supporting Member

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: melody lines are very different, lyrics are different in content and structure, bass lines are quite different. Why all the fuss imo: all that cowbell in both songs, a heavy bass line, some falsetto singing.

THicke did not "sue" the Gaye's, he is seeking a declaratory judgement to nip the threat of being sued in the bud. Defense is much cheaper and quicker than offense. You want to brawl for ages or you want to cold-cock the sucker and walk away?
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

George Clinton said, "it doesn't sound like Sexy Ways at all"
  6. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    Classic song, so Thicke is just seeking an injunction to prevent headbutting down the road. Besides, he's already won, he got Emily Ratajkowski to go topless in his vid.
  7. tehuti

tehuti

I immediately associated it with Marvin Gaye's tune and assumed it was a sample. That's mainly why I like the tune, to be honest. Pay Up!
  8. edpal

edpal Tick-tock, she's not just another pretty face! Gold Supporting Member

Nah man, the bass line is different, the melody line is different, chorus structure is different. Just the same amount of cowbell and thick bass. Listen close and break it down - it's derivative, not plagiarism. But hey, we're not going to settle it on TB - I figure both camps are making tons off the extra plays.
  9. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Can't be any closer than "Some Nights" and "Cecilia" are lol. Sometimes I get a kick out of being a music snob, so when I hear that song I say "Yeah, I liked that song...back when it was called 'Cecilia' and done by Simon and Garfunkel" :smug:
  10. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

"Got To Give It Up" yes. Thicke's song sounds like a much less imaginative take on the general vibe (god that song is boring to play - unlike "Got To Give It Up"). I don't, on the other hand, understand the comparison to "Sexy Ways".