1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does brightness=more attack???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I have generally heard birch described as similar sounding to walnut but with more attack, and maple(relative to birch) as punchier. I generally associate "punchiness" with warm lows and
    a strong midrange presence, but walnut is usually ,AFAIK, significantly darker-sounding than maple.
    So my question is, does more attack from a tone wood always mean that it's brighter??

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. reverendrally

reverendrally

Ok, the short answer = "probably"

The long answer...
    Timber (especially body timber) is a VERY small part of the final sound that comes from a bass. Other MUCH bigger factors in the sound are; (in no particular order)

1. Age, gauge, tension and type of strings.
    2. Playing technique (crucial for attack actually)
    3. Amp, cab, room and EQ setting on amp
    4. Pickup type, placement and adjustment
    5. Electronics
    6. Construction (bolt on/neck through/fitted neck/chambering/neck thickness/etc)
    7. Scale length
    8. Action

What you're talking about are super subtle overtones that most players won't even detect, let alone audiences. Added to that, two different pieces of birch with different densities and moisture levels will be acoustically different too. So you can't be sure from one bass to the next that they will sound identical unless two are built from the same planks of wood. Even then slight differences will mean slightly different overtones. The only timber part of the guitar that seems to make a noticable different from one guitar to the other is the fingerboard.

Hope that helps.

3. Beej

Beej

I understand attack to refer to either how a musical phrase or piece starts off, or referring to how a note gets to max amplitude once the string is struck. I'm not sure how construction affects a term that applies to technique?

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Not in my book. More attack to me is a more defined note start. Brightness is a clearer, higher treble content.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

"More" is a strange way to describe a change in attack.
    I guess you mean a louder initial peak in the volume of a note. But there's also faster and slower attack, in terms of how quickly that peak comes.
    In those terms, attack is almost completely separate from tone.

7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Sorry, I guess "faster attack" is a better way to describe what I mean...